Yes, another Mustang

Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

I'm supposed to be building six FW-190D models but I got myself into a bit of a challenge with other modellers who are building the Jerry Rutman P-51B resin kit.  Now I've already built the Revell D and rebuilt the Trumpeter B (as a C) and fancied another build but can't find the JR resin for love nor money and certainly didn't feel like another Trumpeter kit.  So I decided to do a conversion of two Revell kits, the newer D with the spine of the old (read: ancient!) B.

Here's how the fuselages line up.  Not bad.

42433207190_b8ca10e74d_c.jpg

Here's my proposed changes to the wings, new panel lines and shorter ammo boxes.  Not exact yet, just fibre penned to guestimate what I need to do to it.

43523539184_842acc39c0_c.jpg

Where to cut the old B fuselage.

30373821678_87903784ab_c.jpg

The B fuselage parts cut out and the marked up chop on the D

30373820288_324526b3a9_c.jpg

Well, can't stop now else that's two kits ruined!

44267982831_caf42f28f4_c.jpg

All taped up to cement the spines to the fuselage halves.

42460203470_7ede1879dd_c.jpg

And what I've got at the moment. 

44219452732_d58f52ab13_c.jpg

As you can see, it's a start but there is lots and lots of graft and elbow grease needed still.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

The Revell B that arrived and you can see above, all hacked to pieces, had one big fault: the artwork and instructions and decals are for a Birdcage style canopy but the kit actually comes with the Malcolm Hood only.  The inside of the fuselage had a sticker saying Poland so I can only assume the Quality Control there isn't up to par!  Naughty Revell! However, the kit has a nice modern decal sheet so all is not lost.

So I went to eBay and got an original boxing of the B, making sure the vendor posted a picture of the transparent parts first.  A big thank you to Graham at Rockerton Toys Limited for a really super service.  I've also ordered another new Revell D so I will end up with two B/C conversions, one with the framed canopy, one with the Malcolm style. I had thought of building an old B from the box, re-engrave the panel lines, rebuild the interior, etc, but I think my conversion using a new D is going to be easier in the long run.

My current build list runs like this: These two Mustangs, a couple of Tamiya Mosquitos (One for me, one for my mate Alan), six FW-190D kits and a couple of contract builds.

Retirement is hard work!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Kais,

It’s certainly fun! I haven’t done this much real modelling for a few years and totally enjoying it.  I’ve got Dire Straits on the Amazon Alexa thingy machine, paint brush in my hand, what more could an old bloke like me ask for?  

Ah yes, I could ask for lunch!  Time for a break then come back and contemplate what to do next on the list.

And I hope you find the old Revell B. Yes, it’s ancient but the shape isn’t bad, so maybe you’ll join me here with a nice conversion.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

At the moment I’m working on another couple of modelling projects (some tank stuff) plus waiting for the second Revell D to arrive so I can work on both airframes together.  So don’t expect any progress for a couple of days. Oh yes, I’d forgotten Focke Factory II as well!

In the meantime, thanks for the encouragement, it’s very much appreciated.  Might have to start the Tamiya and Zoukei-Mura D kits too!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby 

Bruce, impressive conversion and well thought thru, as already mentioned by others, you got me thinking about the same thing, have a couple of  old revell B stangs laying around.........:hmmm:.

Edited by Jack

Hi Guys,

Replying to 1to1scale about cheap kits, it’s actually not that economical when I look at UK prices. Add the B and the D at UK prices and you get about £60, which is roughly the same as the Trumpeter kit, which is already a B. Except the interior is rubbish, the wings are knee deep in rivets and in reality they are filled and painted, the fuselage rivets could be used as a cheese grater, the nose is “off”, the etch is not useable, the decals are dire.

So either way there’s a ton of work to do.  I’m still planning how to get the B and D combo to work properly, as in just sitting there and playing with it, test fitting a bit here and a bit there, lots of Tamiya Tape, taking measurements, checking against drawings (all crap!) and trying to work out the most cost effective (read: cheapest) ways of doing things. One will definitely get the early seat from the Tamiya kit as it supplies both styles, I already used one in the Trumpeter kit, and the other will get, well, I don’t know yet.  I might even have to dig out the Trumpeter one and hack lumps off it! 

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

The mail lady lady just delivered a couple of kits, the important one here being the Revell P-51D that’s going to be the sister model to the B/C shown here.  The other kit is a 1/35 Takom Bergepanther A, which is a STUNNING kit!  If these guys did 1/32 aircraft, I for one would be VERY happy.

In the meantime I’ve added some panel lines to the first kit’s fuselage and started on the wing changes. First big job is to relocate the three underwing lamps, they are too far outboard.  Then some panel line changes and the spent ammo ejection ports.  It doesn’t sound like much but it actually is a big deal when you have fingers like sausages!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby