Wingnut Wings W.12 - 1st WNW kit

panzer948

Below is a final pic after sealing the decals with Mr. Hobby Semi Gloss, but before beginning the weathering process. 

p3395632575-5.jpg

For weathering, I followed the same methods I use for armor models. I use some of the same techniques described by Adam Wilder and Rinaldi using mostly oil paints for both washes but also for fading, shading, and adding grime. I like how you can fade the oil paints into your base colors. Some refer to this as Oil Paint Rendering.  For me, oils are the easiest to use since they give you a ton of working time and are easy to fix if you don't like the look. It takes longer but I need all the help I can get!  I also used pigments for the exhaust and a little here and there for grime.

The next few posts will be of the final plane after weathering, rigging, and mounting of guns and elevators. 

Ignore the bolt. I needed something to help prop the plane up in a more natural position.  The floats are weathered in prep for sitting in the diorama (water). Giving some battle damage allowed me to make an excuse to have the one cover off on the right to show all that engine detail.

p3395946916-5.jpg

p3394269011-5.jpg

p3394271970-5.jpg

p3394270181-5.jpg

p3394269141-5.jpg

Edited by panzer948

• 2 months later...

I finally have the W.12 on a proper diorama setting that I thought would be so applicable to the plane.  Quick summary of products used for diorama:

• Terrain: Sculptamold with Fine to Coarse Sand and Organic Matter
  • Water: Magic Water - tinted with oils in lower layers
  • Vegetation: WWS Layered Static Grass and Field Grass by The Scenic Factory
  • Figures: Cooper State Models - Heavily modified German WWI Navy Airmen and Ground crew combined into two figures.

p3509600718-5.jpgp3509600706-5.jpg

Diorama Scene

I finally have the W.12 on a proper diorama setting that I thought would be so applicable to the plane.  As described in the 1st post to this thread, I am made the assumption that the W.12 1410 had added the black tar base floats by April 1918, which was documented on her sister W.29s aircraft from the same unit when the 1410 was written off that same month.  Thus, I thought I would build a dio showing my imagination of the planes fate; that is an emergency (albeit controlled) landing in enemy territory near the coast of France.  the environment is more of a tidal lagoon, bay, marsh, etc.  Thus, I made a water/beach scene with low energy waves revealing minor damage to the engine area.  The damaged included a couple of bullet holes in the right engine covers, with the fragile cover fallen off soon after reaching the shore.  Finally I show the pilot assisting his injured gunner down the beach with hopes of reaching friendly territory or rescue.  He is carrying his flare gun with hopes of signaling German aircraft nearby.  Anyway, that was my imagination of what could have been.  In reality I could not find anything on the real fate of 1410.

p3509602273-5.jpg

p3509602283-5.jpg

Diorama Construction

The base bottom is plywoood with cut/angled Styrofoam glued down to represent the gradual relief from the bottom of the bay to the beach.  I lined the sides of the base with basswood (later painted black and sealed with clear semi gloss) to cover those areas.  This was also used later to cover the temporary damns I made to pore the water.  The ground cover is Sculpt-a-mold with a mixture of fine to coarse sand and some organics.  After the Sculpt-a-mold had dried, I painted the groundcover a light tan to yellow base coat using regular spray paint cans from the hardware store.  This was later given darker earth tone washes and dry brushed with lighter shades using enamels.  I added some driftwood material and vegetation (seaweed) below the water line since I knew I was going to keep the water surface fairly clear.  I painted the beach area above the water line in similar fashion; but would later go back and add variations in tones using an airbrush since this area would be much more visible.

p3394260607-4.jpg

p3509653199-5.jpg

p3394259762-4.jpg

p3509602459-5.jpg

For the water, I used a product called Magic Water.  This was my first true water diorama; other than small ditches or pales of water, I had no experience with a large water scenes.  Thus, I did a tone of reading and YouTube vids to figure out the look I was after and the technique.  In the end, I found this product easier to use than anticipated and wouldn't hesitate to use it again.  I followed the instructions and mixed it in several layers that did not exceed half an inch.  For the first initial layers, I added a couple of drops of bluish green oil paint to tint the deeper layers, which I gradually decreased to no tint the higher I went.   At some point I figured the depth I wanted the planes floats to be embedded in the resin and added it onto of that fully cured layer and attached it using JB Weld Epoxy Putty.  I then added a couple more thin layers to top of the surface to engulf the floats about halfway up.

This entire process took several days, with about a day or two of drying between each layer.  Really, the hardest thing with the resin water is keeping dust out of it as it cured and avoiding trying to pick any out after it started to set.  The first couple of hours you can still pull debris and move the resin around but once it starts getting tacky you really do have to refrain from touching it as it will show bumps once cured.  The good news is that when you add the next layer, it usually hides the defects of the last layer.  Believe me, I did this a lot, probably too much as I added a final layer about 2 days before an IPMS show which didn't really cure in time of me transporting the dio.  Thus, my final layer was not my best and was a big lesson learned.  The best thing to do is pour the mixture and immediately remove any debris and pop air bubbles and then cover the entire thing for two days.  My best layers were when I followed that to a tee, with some showing no dust at all.

p3509602300-5.jpg

p3509602309-5.jpg

The waves were simulated using Modge Podge Gloss, which is heavily shown on YouTube.  This too was rather easy and allows you to make larger ripples and waves with a putty knife as it gets tacky.  I did this in three sections (each side of the plane and then underneath).  After this was dry I used white oil paint to represent the higher energy white water at the edge of the waves.  I also used this to represent ripples around the floats of the plane. 

p3509602511-5.jpg

I used Acrylic Clear Gloss brushed across organic debris, leaves, etc. to represent the high tide mark of the beach.  I then added layers of static grass (used the layer method described by WWS Products) for the sand dunes.  After that had set I created the larger Sea Oats by painstakingly adding small bunches to individual strands of "Yellow Field Grass" from Scenic Factory.  I even came across a Sea Life PE set by "Industria Mechnika" for some shells, crabs, and seaweed.  I used carefully selected real branches/roots for the driftwood.  All of this was glued down using Matt Medium. 

p3509602612-5.jpg

Edited by panzer948

Figures

In order to get the look of the pilot helping the injured crew member, I purchased four German Navy air and ground crew figures from Cooper State and did some parts swapping and heavily modified other arms/legs by cutting and filling with Milliput.  I read somewhere to combine heavily modified figures that are connected prior to painting to ensure they look natural and mold them to each other using putty etc.  I felt that really help me get the look of the injured guys weight on the pilot, even though it made painting more difficult.  I used Vallejo acrylics for base colors but did all the recess and highlights using oils for both clothing and skin tones. I enjoyed painting these guys since WWI uniforms/attire were not consistent and allow you to use your imagination for color choices. 

p3509602492-5.jpg

p3509602565-5.jpg

A few more detailed shots

p3509602526-5.jpg

p3509602539-5.jpg

p3509602577-5.jpg

p3509602591-5.jpg

p3509602602-5.jpg

Anyway, this project is complete. Now on to the next!