News Flash! Curtis P-40 production line starting up!

1to1scale

Unfortunately I can not see the picture/pictures.

I read that you will also built a turkish P-40

This is will be Tomahawk or Kittyhawk?

It s not possible to find out their decals in 1/32 scale

Good luck 

Edited by Tolga ULGUR

Wow that's a large flock of P-40 birds.  I have 7  PCM Spitfires with some late model Griffen engine conversions going ( on and off) and I know first hand how much dedication multiples take.  The process does have its merits during certain stages.  One day seven cockpits used up one  jar interior green in one hour.  The last four all the basics took much less time to do.  This build created a spares box full of unused and chopped off parts.  There would be one amazing auction is all these were suddenly life size and real.

Best of luck on your build

Rick

3 hours ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

Unfortunately I can not see the picture/pictures.

I read that you will also built a turkish P-40

This is will be Tomahawk or Kittyhawk?

It s not possible to find out their decals in 1/32 scale

Good luck 

Yes, I am building a Turkish P-40b/c model. I was not able to find specific decals, but I did find hurricane decals.

15 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Yes, I am building a Turkish P-40b/c model. I was not able to find specific decals, but I did find hurricane decals.

Good luck

You can use the following links as reference.

These Tomahawks were delivered from RAF Middle East stocks. So, desert camouflage was changed. 

http://www.tayyareci.com/digerucaklar/turkiye/1923ve50/tomahawk.asp

http://www.ozkanturker.com/Galeri/p40b_2/index.htm

Edited by Tolga ULGUR

I still don’t have a workbench, and I’m still unpacking my stash, but I started the production line today. The cockpits are a little confusing, because I am building a late N with all the PE, and early N with only a PE panel, then two K’s, and two E’s. So far I have the two N cockpits glued up, and started one K before I quit today. I also started fitting and gluing the tail to the fuselage on one of the N’s. After studying how they mate, I figured that gluing the tail to the halves is the best way to make it join up well. I am going slow so I can makes sure there is no step. 

5aGyG1W.jpg

After studying the tail plugs, I tried gluing the tail to the fuselage half, that didn’t work perfectly as the profile is a little off, the fuselage is flatter than the tail, leaving a small step.

HHWk7UN.jpg

CZcr8c1.jpg

next I tried the approach that Hasegawa recommends, which a twist, I taped the halves together instead of gluing. I held the halves together and tried to line up each half as best I could. This came out a little better.

QSV1rjK.jpg

p366YTn.jpg

finally, on the K fuselage, I tried the same, it appears that the K has a closer profile.

5ivejjl.jpg

Its starting to look like a production line now.

Edited by 1to1scale

So, just to prove I have been sitting on my ass, working on planes...

n7M2Ld6.jpg

Oops, wrong picture.

The assembly line method actually works pretty well, but I did have to modify the method a bit. I have been building the planes in pairs because the different versions, so build by type (E, K, N) made the most sense. I also decided that the two Trumpy P-40’s will have to wait for another time since I still have not received one of them yet, and the P-40F conversion will be on its own since that is still on its way over the Atlantic. 

I won’t lie, the cockpits were a bit confusing building the N’s and a K, because they were all different, plus I used PE on both N’s. I have some resin seats coming for the K’s and one E, and I also plan on using a pilot with one of the planes. Building this way definitely saves time, my first cockpit took me nearly an hour, the last two planes I did everything in about an hour.

n2Rb1tN.jpg

9lis7ri.jpg

IaMlTAP.jpg

of course, Buster could care less about the progress....

n07WSZe.jpg

That's only six, I have two P-40B's and two P-40M's not started, and a grey matter F/Lconversion for one of the M's. I was attempting to do all of them together, but quickly realized that six will be hard enough. 

Unfortunately, no progress this weekend, i was working on the house instead.