Are the Hasegawa P40 kits really ill fitting?

Southern Bandit

2 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

The funny thing is, the later p-40’s from Hasegawa (N maybe M and K) have the corrected windshields without the post, however, the E model still comes with the bad one.

I recently purchased the Hasegawa P-40 E and it had the correct windscreen.  The side of the box was copyright 2014.   

I just checked all my P-40’s, all but one E model have the non-corrected windshield, however, as both my N’s have both styles, I am all set for my build. I checked all three E boxes, two 2008 boxings, and one 2014 boxing. One of the 2008 boxings had the post, the others did not. They all said sprue W, nothing to identify them as corrected or not. Go figure, I guess after all the complaints initially, they quietly made a running change. Thank you Hasegawa. However, if anyone has an E with the bad one, most people with an N model be it an Eduard or Hasegawa, will have a spare if you ask nicely. 

Edited by 1to1scale

Same same, the only issue with the Has P-40s have been mentioned:

- The tail plug inserted where there is no actual panel line on the 1:1 (solved by gluing on each half prior to fuse assembly then filling/sanding)

- Extra frames on the E model windscreen to be cut, or sanded out or replace by windscreen without these braces (not sure which model did not have them for sure)

- Quarter glass is also inserted where there is no panel line on the 1:1 (easily fixed w/some filler) 

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I’ve only built the old Revell kit. With plastic landing gear legs, I always brush on layers of Super Glue, so they don’t bend with the weight of the plane. This is especially true with the tail wheel strut.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, phasephantomphixer said:

Curious why the extra windshield post is there?

From a restoration bird they referenced, or was it from a P-40 type?

There was an extra bracing added to the windscreen on the port side only.  This was introduced late in the series with the "M" and "N" so it would never be seen on the "E".

Hasegawa as you know fixed the mistake and I think offered replacement parts for the early "E" kits.

36 minutes ago, KUROK said:

There was an extra bracing added to the windscreen on the port side only.  This was introduced late in the series with the "M" and "N" so it would never be seen on the "E".

Hasegawa as you know fixed the mistake and I think offered replacement parts for the early "E" kits.

Thx, i'll have to check mine. Gonna check my K too..

One of the lower-stress kits I’ve built.  It’s nearly as nice to build as Hasegawa's A6M5, which is danged near perfect from a fit engineering standpoint.  

It’s a pleasant building experience.  I’ve built two and another one is in the queue.