Quality of Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair 1/32 Decals

ringleheim

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Hey Dana,  can you point me to some images of this on the web?  Maybe not 883, but any Corsair?  Your ability to discover the obscure has just amazed me!  Planning on building my Tamiya as 883, and I want to get it right. 

Hi Scott (and anyone else interested),

I'm caught up with a writing project at the moment, but drop me a line at danabell[at]earthlink.net and net week I'll send you high-res shots of 883 and the factory-applied colors.  Sorry I can't get to this sooner, but I'm having a hard time concentrating on three different projects right now.

Cheers,

Dana

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

I am not all there on masks, I used them on my Mustang build, I am open to them but not convinced that I have to use them.  I probably won’t on my next build.  I find them extremely fidly on U.S. insignia with the star, bars and border.  

While I've only used general air-frame masks one time so far (Montex), I can see a future where I'll use them more and more.

18 hours ago, Suresh Nathan said:

I hope you're going to weather the heck out of yours....... This is my Revell F4U with handpainted markings and old Revell decals that were cracked. Lol!

Post pics! I love this corsair!

I  used the exact same Valiant Miniatures figure with a Matchbox SBD and just loved it, having first seen it in a Sheperd Paine book many, many years ago.

LOL.  I had no idea corsair markings are yet another of these modeling can of worms.

Red outline!  No 2 shades of blue outlines!  No, no outlines!   

My concern was not wanting the Tamiya decals to break up or crack into multiple shards the moment I lay them on the model, which has happened to me several times over the years with Tamiya markings.

I've built dozens of Tamiya kits ranging from ships to armor to F1 cars to 1/24 passenger cars to motorcycles to aircraft...

Their decals are totally hit or miss and never quite the same twice.   If they share any 1 trait across the board, it is that they are way too thick.

My favorite Tamiya decals?  The ones they farm out to Cartograf for their 1/12 motorcycle series.  Those are perfect! 

Edited by ringleheim

I'm curious if the Corsair experts find these markings to be accurate.

I like #1, 18, 86, 831, 3, 29, 34.

I'd probably just assume avoid controversial subject matter where no one is in agreement on what the plane looked like.  

Any of these straight forward?  

ec161-cover.gif

ec162-cover.gif

Jennings could be right about "Big Hog." I don't ever remember seeing a pic of the left of the rudder to verify it.

My only other comment, and Jennings might be able to confirm this: I am not sure 86 "Lucybelle" was ever actually flown by Boyington. That was an aircraft dressed up for the press for photos. His picture was taken with it for back home. Their aircraft rarely carried kill markings; particularly because they shared their aircraft with another unit, and Boyington, or the other pilots, did not have assigned aircraft, unlike VF-17. Boyington often (so they say) took the most cantankerous aircraft that day, so his other pilots did not have to fly it.

6 hours ago, Mark P said:

The instructions for EC#161, which I researched and created with Jerry for EE, specifically state that "Lulubelle" was used as a photo prop. It has also been determined that the correct name is "Lucybelle".

The VF-17 'Jolly Rogers' titles by AJ Press for many of the reference photos.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Yes, that's what I read too. It's in that photo I linked here earlier. Something  about how Lucybelle is obscured. 

Being a propaganda plane and understanding that Boyington would give the best planes in the yard to his junior pilots but fly the heavily worn planes like 883 makes Lullabelle uninteresting for me as a modeling subject. 

2 cents

I avoid setting solutions on Tamyia decals. I had some issues in the past and I think they do fine without anything except for complex shapes like if you have to cover a canon fairing or sutff like that.

I wouldn't say it is a quality problem. Rather a question of their characteristics. I read somewhere that there varnish already included some setting solution that is triggered by the warm water. But I don't know if that is true.

Edited by discus

My F4u-1a just arrived in the mail today from Hong Kong.

Bought it from Jazhobby, who had the cheapest price on Ebay at the time of order.  $118 US including shipping.  

They put 1 sheet of styrofoam along one large side of the Tamiya box, and that was it.  Then basically wrapped the Tamiya box in a rugged plastic shipping bag and shipped it. 

That's annoying.  Having said that,  the box itself is actually in very good shape and the contents are fine.

I have run into this before from other Hong Kong Ebay sellers.  I am going to start emailing before purchase and asking if what I order will be placed in a shipping box. 

Edited by ringleheim