Tamiya versus Revell F-15C

oyoy5

Built both, Tamiya has better OOB detail, features. Shapewise both look good, have to say the Revell kit fits better. Panel lines on Revell kit are heavy, can be fixed by sanding down all surfaces, worth doing. Thierry must have a review on these somewhere....As stated, what are you aiming for?

Don

11 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Do I remember reading somewhere (here?) that the Tamiya C is actually just a single seat E in terms of the airframe mods it has?  

For all of the “errors” in the Tamiya Kit, it’s much better detailed and more accurate than the 35 year old Revell kit.  I’m sure no one has taken the time to dissect the Revell kit to the level of the Tamiya kit, but I’d imagine the list would be extremely lengthy.  IIRC, in all of its releases, the kit only ever had the old ESCAPAC seat, and only the last “F-15E” release had unfeathered exhausts, and those were very crude, with the nozzle actuator arms being solid triangles.

Well, I love both kits but indeed the Revell kit is cruder even if globally OK. One weird issue of the Revell kit is the numerous fantasy panel lines over the airframe. This is really stupid as this is quite visible and time consuming to correct. Another annoying issue is the wrong position of the gun vents. The nose end needs a little bit of sanding and the two belly Nava-shaped intakes must be filled in. All the other noticeable issues may be easily solved thanks to aftermarket: cockpit, exhausts, LG legs and wheels, pylons and missiles. A sound but old kit that as far as I know was the last LSP fully developed by Revell USA. 

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

IIRC, in all of its releases, the kit only ever had the old ESCAPAC seat

Hi Dave, 

Actually my release of the C has both seats. However, even if the seat looks to be dimensionally correct, the details on that ACES2 would only be OK on a small scale kit. So it is quite worthless and you should replace it.

Cheers

Thierry 

Tamiya, even though that's now twenty years old. 

The jet exhausts need shortening, the fuselage venting altered and the MLG wheels are the chunkier late D and E type IIRC. Dave Whelan, aka Eaglekeeper, posted a tweak list for the Tamiya here on LSP if you can find it. 

I built the Revell E thirty six years ago and it went together very well. Somebody once suggested buying both a twin Revell and single seat Tamiya and swapping the undercarriage and doors.

Tony 

Everything stated above is spot on, I've built both (Tamiya x 5, Revell x 2) Tamiya is better, more challenging and great results. Revell is simpler, fits better, easier build. Both need extra detail/aftermarket, but again, what are you looking for in a build. last Revell build I did a JASDF two seater Aggressor from the Strike eagle kit. Didn't want to spend the coin on a Tamiya conversion$$$$, just wanted a fun shelf sitter. YMMV.

Don

16 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, I love both kits but indeed the Revell kit is cruder even if globally OK. One weird issue of the Revell kit is the numerous fantasy panel lines over the airframe. This is really stupid as this is quite visible and time consuming to correct. Another annoying issue is the wrong position of the gun vents. The nose end needs a little bit of sanding and the two belly Nava-shaped intakes must be filled in. All the other noticeable issues may be easily solved thanks to aftermarket: cockpit, exhausts, LG legs and wheels, pylons and missiles. A sound but old kit that as far as I know was the last LSP fully developed by Revell USA. 

Lol, if you need to correct all of the panel lines, and replace the cockpit, wheels, exhausts, LG legs and wheels, pylons and missiles, what’s left except a F-15 shaped pile of plastic?

Seriously, if you go for the Revell kit, just build it for what it is.  If you throw a bunch of aftermarket at it, you’re probably going to approach the price of the Tamiya kit, at which point much of the advantage is lost.

Talking about single seat Revell 1/32 F-15s; I understand Revell US introduced the first F-15 in 1982, kit number 4759 which apparently had all the correct pieces for a single seat aircraft.

Many years ago, I bought the 1985 rebox of this kit which was labelled as an F-15C, kit number 4800, and after 'stashing' this for a few years opened it up to find that the fuselage top and the two nose section parts were for the two seat version! all the other pieces for the single seater were present.

A couple of kits for two seaters were released by Revell between 1982 and 85. Perhaps something happened to the single seat moulds and Revell thought they would include two seat tops and nose parts in some or all of the 1985 'reboxed' 4800 F-15C kits and hope nobody would notice!

I didn't bother writing to Revell (no internet then) about my kit, as given the years that had passed, it was pretty obvious they wouldn't have been able to help .

It would seem that Revell have never released a properly complete kit for the single seat version since 1982?

I'd be interested to hear whether anyone else out there has found a two seat top and nose parts in their 4800 F-15C kit; any other history of these kits (other than what is on Scalemates) that anyone may have would be appreciated.

Apart from this, I have built kit 5715, the most recent two seat F-15 kit from Revell and when propped up by a G Factor Models metal undercarriage it is a very nice model, not as good as Tamiya, but good nonetheless.

Look forward to hearing more about these kits.