Building Japanese

Dandiego

Don, the orange is straight  out of the little  square  bottle.

I have 3 choices when it comes to decals. 1, kit decals which are in English and  35 years old. 2, An old Microscale sheet , English with no placement diagram and maybe 25 years  old or , the Two bobs sheet.

I will be using the Twobobs  sheet at first and I will see how it goes. None of these options are perfect.

I am ready to spray the  white paint.   Stay tuned.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Alright I have done a ton of masking. I have gotten out that darn marker again. And I have begun spraying white on the main airframe.

mfLKYj1.jpg

a3ZkII4.jpg

zYGCLwp.jpg

Removed some masking over the grey, Got some orange on the vertical tails.

4dOYFF2.jpg

Coolness!

V5EYMOL.jpg

And a little Brown. Rust actually.

INVzSb7.jpg

tdYKCoS.jpg

QwZXjeP.jpg

Painting and masking will continue. Lots of oversprays, and at least one orange fingerprint to take care of.

Dan

Hi Dan. I've been following your build here, great job with the challenging paint work! 

Question, what color blue does the Revell instructions call out for the inert practice bombs? I was looking at the photo on the box earlier in the thread. I went to the Revell website to download the instructions but they are for a more recent boxing that does not feature the same weapon load-out. 

Thanks for doing this WIP, nice to see how you are progressing along, 

Greg

A lot of masking, a lot of painting, a lot of mistakes....

BTRZtsj.jpg

8uHCu3V.jpg

3BHhb4w.jpg

pSCpGh9.jpg

Many, many small corrections are needed and one really big one near the airbrake. Colorful huh?!

I plan on fixing all of the painting mistakes before I unmask the areas that will be natural  metal.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Thanks Brian. 

As much as anything this is "shakedown " cruise  for my new airbrush. It was a Fathers day gift from my son. It is a Paasche Talon and it is very nice. As with any new tool there is an adjustment  period. But it is much more precise than my previous airbrush which I had been using for 30 years.

Dan  

Edited by Dandiego

A little progress.....

Landing gear with some gloss white paint. Mains are the kit plastic gear, the front gear is metal.

UFP8kjg.jpg

Canopy has the grey applied. However a lot is missing. There is a small shelf at the very rear of the canopy which is not included in the kit. I will have to scratch this detail.

gsVjpo6.jpg

Tanks are also camoed. These are the basic colors but there are still more details to be added.

0ZkRqCA.jpg

Seats, I now have both widened. I have found that they sit very low in the cockpit. I think the easiest solution is to raise the cockpit floor.

tyuvqsV.jpg

Stabs. Finally added the missing stencil grey surrounds.

u8VTLNB.jpg

And so it goes,  Dan

Edited by Dandiego

I have been working on the bare metal areas st the rear of the airframe. 

First I have applied the Alclad Gloss black base coat.

EjSuK2b.jpg

uUyMMRm.jpg

And after a day to harden off I have applied the metal coats. The basic color is Metalizer buffing Stainless steel. Followed by various metalizer colors to get a worn, hot metal look. A little masking between colors to get a slight panel look on the bottom. This was all followed by a wet coat of Tamiya Clear.

wnmh1a6.jpg

XGK91FO.jpg

NgQjqC5.jpg

And a little bit more. A metal vent behind the cockpit and the refueling door.

ldHILol.jpg

zSAGUGm.jpg

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Dandiego