P-40K 1LT R. Johnson, Tunisia 1943.

Padubon

On 8/24/2018 at 9:49 PM, 1to1scale said:

Looks good so far, I might be building this exact same version, I ordered the same decals earlier today. 

The P-40 is one of those aircraft I can't get enough of it!

On 8/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great Paul. That forward cowl area and the quarter windows on the Has kit can be problematic for sure.

Model on!

I mentioned earlier, this is not my first Hase P-40. I don't understand why but this sucker does not fit anywhere.

Edited by Padubon
Misspelled

I have found that mine fit everywhere except the tail plug, the issue I discovered, was that the fuselage and the tail plugs are different shaped ovals. So far the best method I found was to bend the fuselage slightly and glue the plug to each side. Other than that, everything else is fitting perfectly. I suspect sometimes a few kits here and there get pulled out of the molds a little too early and may warp.

5 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I have found that mine fit everywhere except the tail plug, the issue I discovered, was that the fuselage and the tail plugs are different shaped ovals. So far the best method I found was to bend the fuselage slightly and glue the plug to each side. Other than that, everything else is fitting perfectly. I suspect sometimes a few kits here and there get pulled out of the molds a little too early and may warp.

I envy you. Mine is weird all over.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, Padubon said:

I envy you. Mine is weird all over.

I am going back on what I said earlier, of the 7, one of them fits wonky in a few places. I believe the N’s fit the best, then the K’s, the worst being the E’s. 

But it hands down the worst fit the F/L conversion, once you cut those front parts, the damn thing springs loose and twists on both sides.

9 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I am going back on what I said earlier, of the 7, one of them fits wonky in a few places. I believe the N’s fit the best, then the K’s, the worst being the E’s. 

But it hands down the worst fit the F/L conversion, once you cut those front parts, the damn thing springs loose and twists on both sides.

I wanted to do the F/L conversion but I heard the stories that you confirmed.

I think I’ll pass on that, I am quite limited with my time as it is.

1 hour ago, Padubon said:

I wanted to do the F/L conversion but I heard the stories that you confirmed.

I am going to wait on the Trumpeter F. While the Gray Matter conversion is good, it does require a lot of work to make it fit perfect. It requires, fitting, sanding, filling, scribing, modification, surgery, and then repeat. The one advantage, it gives you a long tail. I wanted to build "MAD KOT" French P-40L, so it was my only choice.  

On 11/27/2018 at 8:58 AM, 1to1scale said:

I am going to wait on the Trumpeter F. While the Gray Matter conversion is good, it does require a lot of work to make it fit perfect. It requires, fitting, sanding, filling, scribing, modification, surgery, and then repeat. The one advantage, it gives you a long tail. I wanted to build "MAD KOT" French P-40L, so it was my only choice.  

I will do the same.