Trumpeter Ju 87G.

ade rowlands

Fresh up, a new victim for me to butcher. I had intended to crack on with my long stalled Tamiya P-51 but I’ve had to order some new wing parts for that so whilst they wing their way to me I thought I’d start something new. And just to be different to everyone who’s ever made a G series Stuka I’ll be doing it in Rudel’s markings (Eaglecals, kit decals aren’t the best), can’t agree with his politics in any way but no denying his feats. 

The kit. 

KUKmmcx.jpg?1

The add ons. 

4IZZqTd.jpg?1

The refs, plus whatever else I find online. 

xXnzUS5.jpg?1

I also have the Aires cockpit but on looking at it closely I’ve decided not to use it in its entirety as some of the detail is soft and will be a bear when it’s time to paint and I could foresee some firmest issues when adding the floor so I have decided to use the kit parts but add to them where I can and use a few of the Aires parts. Neither instrument panel is great, detail on the Aires one being hard to pick out and the kit one hasn’t got much detail and I don’t feel like buying an Eduard set just for the panel which probably won’t colour match my RLM 66 anyway so I’ll think on that one, probably remove detail from the kit part and tart it up with some Airscale stuff. We shall see. The kit as it comes has gotten the Flak guns wrong, Trumpeter has them handed whereas in reality they aren’t, the magazine and spent casing catcher are on the same side on each gun. I got around this by robbing the Flak gun sprue from a D series kit I had which Trumpeter kindly issue with the Flak cannons even though they weren’t fitted to the D series of Stuka.  

Edited by ade rowlands

51 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! Looking forward to progress!

Thanks Brian. Just going through the kit cockpit parts versus the Aires parts and seeing what’s getting used from each set at the moment and what needs to be added to the kit sidewalls, added a few details so far and some blanking plates to the backs of kit parts that would otherwise show the hollow parts. 99% sure I’m going with the kit instrument panel but stripped of the so so bezel detail and replace them with the Airscale bezels. 

23 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

I'll pop in to see how you do bro!!

Rog :)

17 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Stuka!    Looking forward to this one as well.

Troy 

12 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

I need me a decent sized Stuka as well. Will follow this. 

Thanks Gents and Rog in particular for scanning the Hasegawa kits instructions for me so I can cut the camo masks on the Silhouette when the time comes. 

Im making a little progress at the moment. The Franken Trumpeter/Aires cockpit is more or less done and ready for paint save the instrument panel which is next on the list. I’ll be sanding away the Trumpeter details and replacing with Airscale for sure now as the way I’ve done things only the shape of the Trumpeter panel will fit the Fuselage. The detail on the Aires one was very vague anyway. To be honest, although I’ve had many fit up issues with Aires over the years their detail was always spot on but this set it was just vague and would disappear under the first coat of paint making detail painting after a nightmare. Just need to add a few bits of lead wire here and there and I’ll take some photos for proof that I am actually doing something!

Some slight progress. 

One of the kit sidewalls with some parts taken from the Aires set, here its the throttle quadrant and some electrical boxes. Airscale bezels for the gauges on by the pilot. 

9bJE5D2.jpg

Other sidewall, Airscale bezels again for parts by pilot and the read seaters oxygen epuiment. Some scratch plumbing from lead wire and Airscale knobs. Aires Oxygen Regulator. I did cannibalise both units but one has gone missing from the bench, sure to be found once the fuselage is painted and sealed no doubt. So I went with sticking the one I had in the rear cockpit as it’s more visible than what the pilots would be once the seat is installed and fuselages joined up. 

vh8X3WO.jpg

Cockpit floor, Aires Rudder pedals in front, battery pack in rear cockpit and the seat adjustment pedal. 

fkhW4AX.jpg

Went with the kit radio sets as they will be easier to detail paint later. 

OaaJVjq.jpg

Aires joystick, device that I think would open the bomb aiming window and the Aires shroud for said window. From the Stuka at Hendon which is a G-2 minus the Flak guns the window is still fitted to the G series. 

Kj2qNjc.jpg

The pilots seat, went with the kit option over the Aires one as the kit one will obviously fit with the kit seat mechanism. It’s also a bit taller than the Aires one. I did debate thinning the sides a little but didn’t trust myself to get an even symmetrical job done as can be seen if you look at my attempts to do the cut outs for the pilots seat belts to feed through in the seat armour. Added some detail from punched styrene discs to the head armour and plumbed in some lead wire to it. It’s there on the real deal but it’s function is a mystery to me. 

wNmXict.jpg

rear of the bulkhead. Added lead wire and some styrene blocks that are meant to be resistors and whatnot for the radio, added a little detail to them with an Airscale knob. 

k9adVJa.jpg

Finally the kit instrument panel showing the clunky details. I’ll be removing them and replacing the detail with Airscale bezels and other bits. 

Bi8oY3r.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Nice project are and liking your progress on the cockpit. I built the B version from Trumpeter a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Fancy a G for the collection so interested to see your progress.

Regards. Andy

1 minute ago, monthebiff said:

Nice project are and liking your progress on the cockpit. I built the B version from Trumpeter a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Fancy a G for the collection so interested to see your progress.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy. I don’t know if the nose of this kit is correct or not unlike the earlier models of the Stuka. It’s looking like a decent kit with good detail. Instructions would have you add bombs or drop tanks to the wings and the center line bomb also but as far as I’m aware this was a Flak gun only aircraft. We shall see how it progresses. I can’t foresee any major difficulties as there’s no panels that need closing other than on the wings over where the deleted machine guns would have been serviced and armed from. Something I need to check on though is if the parts the dive brakes were attached to are provided or not. Dive brakes were removed from the G but the part they attach to remained. You’ll also need to source another sprue that the Flak guns come on as Trumpeter got them wrong. They should both be the same with the guns being fed from a magazine that’s on the same side on both guns, not handed as the kit has them. 

No going back now. Kit instrument panel stripped of all detail and some styrene sheet and rod bits added to replace some lost detail. The half round on the bottom of each side is a little clunky but it’s what I had to hand and I thought I’d crack on with this idea before I talked myself out of it. When the glue is dry each half round will have a vertical saw cut out into it to reperesent the notches for some levers to be added to later. Yesterday I sprayed all my Airscale bezels and cockpit details Nato Black. The plan is to then spray the instrument panel body RLM 66 then add the already painted Airscale stuff to avoid having to paint the bezel details when everything is in place. So all that would need to be done is a little detail painting before adding the Airscale instrument decals. 

xxiyiLV.jpg

wbgsKRh.jpg

Edited by ade rowlands

Made an error in copying what Trumpeter had put in the bottom parts of the panel, parts shouldn’t be half rounds but are actually boxes. Rectified that mistake now. Still need to be slotted for some levers though. Have a photo of a real panel in one of my books to copy from now on.