Trumpeter Ju 87G.

ade rowlands

A little more progress. Wing centre section and inner wings joined up.

4218Tb0.jpg

Mated to fuselage halves, its a tight fit and a bit of work to get together. I did think maybe it was something in the cockpit causing some fuselage spread, but no, everything is fine there. Just one of those things. Next step was the engine and the engine covers, I've assembled the engine only as something to hang the prop and exhausts off of, the engine itself from the kit can be built with some detail but theres no facility to show it off after. So this is how Trumpeter would have you do it.

9Aviy35.jpg

Only that way and I tried it with dry fitting, no part of the engine touches anything to glue it to the fuselage parts, I though maybe the firewall but only minimally, not enough to bear the weight. So I tried it another way.

aAcA5s1.jpg

WJQb0vS.jpg

The firewall glues into a recess in the fuselage halves quite nicely, provides a good strong join once dry and leaves a lip around the firewall that the engine cover halves fit on.

0uJnAGO.jpg

92Hdspm.jpg

So thats where I am at. The second engine cover will be joined up next, tail flying surfaces added and then work on the outer wings, theres some holes to fill and holes to drill on those, Trumpeter seem to use a generic wing for their Stuka series but of course the G only had provision for the underwing cannon, no bombs and the wing machine guns were deleted although Trumpeter included the holes for mounting those. Despite seeing the real deal G at Hendon several times now I forget just how big an airframe the Stuka was, this one will be dominating its own shelf in the cabinet when done.

Edited by ade rowlands

9 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

how did you get that lovely texture on the seat cushion?

Its the cushion that comes with the Aires cockpit set, then sprayed white and an Uschi Van Der Rosten Leather decal over the top of that. I’d love to be able to paint leather but I’ve never got it realistic looking I’ve tried it with oils, acrylics and enamels but it’s a fail for me so I cheat and use the decals. They are almost translucent though so a light colour underneath is a must, I use a white or tan depending on the final colour, I wanted a lighter one for the Stuka seeing as it’s a dark RLM 66 cockpit. 

Edited by ade rowlands

Today I had one of those vibes that was telling me to leave the kit itself alone. So taking heed of that feeling that if I touched today I’d balls something up but not wanting to waste a day off work before progress will slow to a crawl next week when I start night shifts again I formulated a plan. I had purchased a Montex mask set for the canopies with this in mind. I find the material they use to not really like sticking to curved surfaces and they start to peel after a day or so and me, well I can have those masks on for weeks as progress ebbs and flows. So to the Bat Cave and my flatbed scanner and Silhouette Portrait plotter. Montex set was weeded out and scanned into the Mac, imported in to Silhouette and after triple checking I had my measurements right (of course before all this I tried one of the Montex pieces on each of the canopy sections to check they fit). The masks were then cut on to a piece of Tamiya masking paper as shown below. Only one piece failed to fit but was an easy fix with some thin strips of Tamiya tape. I can’t recall if the photos shown before had the horizontal stabs and rudder added to the fuselage. Well they’re on now, I failed to notice some ejection port marks on the counterbalance for the horizontal stabs, they’re on the inside faces and will be dealt with when I’m tidying up the various seam lines and one or seven glue thumb prints here and there. The stabs fit nicely. I need to check the fit of the prop that goes under them to the fuselage as I had planned to leave it off to ease painting, if they’re a snug fit I’ll stick to that plan, if not, I’ll have to glue them in place before paint. Before masking the canopies I put them all in place to see how much of the cockpit would be seen if I left them all closed up on the final model and I’m happy that being a veritable greenhouse, most of my cockpit work will show, so closed they shall be. The pilots sliding canopy isn’t really designed to be open methinks and I don’t want to force it and snap it down the middle. 

JJ7C1iV.jpg

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

... flatbed scanner and Silhouette Portrait plotter.

Aha ! Clever lad , I did that with the Eduard masks for the Revell Mustang.

nGBNjRa.jpg