Dark Blue Killer - Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair

John1

Sorry for the crappy pictures guys, I'm heavily dependent on natural light and even then, with my cheap camera, I can't get close-in detail shots as well as I'd like.

Anyway, I mentioned that the F4U has a pretty "busy" cockpit.  There are a lot of ducts, hydraulic tubing and conduit visible, especially compared to other vintage aircraft like the Mustang.  Part of this is due to not having a floor, which makes a lot of otherwise hidden stuff be visible.   I came across this old picture and it's got me motivated to busy things up a bit.  

ESCALA ESPANOLA: F4U-1A Corsair

I do find that there is a wide variation in the layout of Corsair cockpits.   Even this picture has differences from other references shown in Dana Bell's book.   I guess that means I've got some latitude here to do things my way.  One word of caution for modelers - don't depend to heavily on pics of warbirds.  Most of them have been stripped of a lot of operational gear, such as radios, IFF, cockpit heaters, O2 systems, etc.    So anyway, I'm going to get started added a bit of clutter to my 'pit.  Keep in mind my philosophy that if you can't see it, don't make it.   As an example, the prominent heater assembly will be directly under the pilot's seat.  As such, I'll only replicate the duct work leading to it.   Also, I don't have the time (or skills) to slavishly reproduce every wire and tube.  I'll just do what I can to add some clutter and call it a day.   

Quick update.  I added the decals for the two instrument panels.   I decided using the Tamiya clear piece would result in a "tunnel" effect with the instrument face being to far behind the glass.   What I did was use a bit of clear plastic cut from some packaging and shined up using plastic polish.   I cut the piece to the same size as the decal and then applied the decal beind it.   I'm pretty happy with the outcome, still need to do some detail painting on switches and add a few scratches here and there.   If it fogs up in the next few days, I'll toss it and go with the Yahu IP instead.  Thoughts?

IMG_0246

I also started adding some additional detail in the cockpit.  I added a line from the emergency hydraulic pump to the accumulator tank (I assume this is hydraulic but maybe it's pneumatic?) located on the left side console.   I also added larger diameter heating duct from under the IP to below the pilot's seat (as noted above since you won't see anything under the seat, I didn't add the heater outlet).   Also took the kit pilot's oxygen hose and ran it from the regulator to behind the map case (I'll be adding a pencil or two to the map case in a bit, along with adding a wash and some detail painting).  Lastly, I added a few more bits including a warning placard on the inner edge of the lower right instrument panel.  

Some additional pics:

IMG_0248

IMG_0245

IMG_0244

IMG_0243

Thanks for looking!

On 9/3/2018 at 5:46 PM, John1 said:

I also started adding some additional detail in the cockpit.  I added a line from the emergency hydraulic pump to the accumulator tank (I assume this is hydraulic but maybe it's pneumatic?) located on the left side console. 

Are you referring to the black tank with the red knob?  I believe that is a CO2 tank for emergency landing gear extension.  The hand pump would not pressurize that.

1 hour ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Are you referring to the black tank with the red knob?  I believe that is a CO2 tank for emergency landing gear extension.  The hand pump would not pressurize that.

Thanks Joe.  I was.   I assumed the hand pump was linked to that tank.    

Hey, while on the subject of tanks, anyone have thoughts on what color that O2 tank is?   I’ve seen all sorts of colors on builds.  

12 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Model Master does a real nice Willow Green which is what I used for the O2 bottle on my Corsair build.

Yes they do........................Ill be using almost exclusively MRP for my Tigercat, but the El Toro training scheme I want to do utilizes some nice bright WIllow green stripes Ill need to use that MM color for. 

17 hours ago, John1 said:

Thanks Joe.  I was.   I assumed the hand pump was linked to that tank.    

Hey, while on the subject of tanks, anyone have thoughts on what color that O2 tank is?   I’ve seen all sorts of colors on builds.  

I don't know if the hand pump is connected there or not, just that the pump won't have an input into the tank.  Somewhere, the CO2 tank has to interface with the landing gear actuators, but I don't know where.

Quick update.  I've completed the cockpit decals.   Quite the project but I really feel that they add immensely to the finished look of the cockpit.  Wish Barracuda had these sets for many more aircraft besides just the P-51 (which I just ordered for my upcoming F-51 Mustang build) and the Corsair.  I'm spoiled and from here on, any other cockpit is going to look barren without these.   One thing I really liked about the these decals is that (with a bit of Microsol), they conform over the various switches, knobs, etc present in the cockpit. 

Anyway, just a few pics to show the latest work.  I've still got a few small parts to add to the cockpit, and then I'll start adding all the electrical connectors, etc.   I also just got the Eduard fabric harness set.  Once I get that added, I'll be able to install the seat and button this assembly up.   Note - I still need to complete the weathering of the cockpit.  I'll be adding some washes, etc to make it look a bit more used.

IMG_0253

IMG_0252

IMG_0251

IMG_0255

IMG_0254

Edited by John1

Had a sick 6 year old daughter, so I was home today keeping an eye on her.  While she was napping, I actually got a bit of weekday modeling time in, which is pretty rare in my world.  

I completed the seatbelts.  I found the kit belts to be well detailed but Tamiya's PE is too thick to really work with.   My preferred option is to go with an aftermarket seat with the belts cast in place.   I find that most other seatbelts, even the new fabric ones still look a bit artificial.  Unfortunately, there aren't any seats for the Corsair out there (Barracudacast, are you reading this?).   I went with Eduard's fabric belts.   They look like PE but once off the fret and you peel away the backing paper, they are (relatively) flexible.  Still nothing close to the real thing but better than PE I suppose.  As a plus, they are pre-painted.   The hardest part was threading the belts through tiny PE buckles.   My eyes still ache from doing this.   A good locking set of tweezers are a must.   If not, I can guarantee you'll end up launching one of the parts and since Eduard doesn't provide spares, you'll then be out $16.  

Once the belts were glued in place (i'm not happy with the positions, I typically try to make one or two belts folded over on itself for a natural pose but the bottom belts seemed a bit too short), I then glued the seat in place to the rear armored bulkhead.  I then painted the control stick and test fit the entire cockpit assembly together.   Looks pretty decent.  

I also added some scratches to the cockpit sides and panels to replicate a somewhat used aircraft.   Again, keep in mind that these late war Corsairs didn't have a lot of hours on the clock so they shouldn't look like the flying dumpsters that the earlier land-based aircraft looked like.   Here are a few pictures:

First off the control stick.   It's notable in that Tamiya was nice enough to include the pilot's relief tube which attached to the front of the control stick.  Even though it may not be seen very clearly, I felt the need to drill out the "receptacle" and add a drainage tube to the bottom.    Can't have our 32nd scale hero wizzing all over his cockpit, can we?  Actually, if I end up with a Marine Corsair, it's redundant, those animals probably wouldn't bother with the tube in the first place (kidding, no offense meant to any of my jarhead brothers). 

IMG_0262

IMG_0261

The rest of the cockpit, dry fitted together.  I added a few more wires but have more work to do.  Also have a few more kit parts that need to get glued on prior to final assembly.   Don't worry about the missed mounting point on the seatbelts, they won't be visible once the cockpit is buttoned up. 

IMG_0259

IMG_0258

IMG_0257

IMG_0256

Thanks for looking!

Edited by John1