Tamiya F-4C/D Phantom II Conversion to RF-4C

SapperSix

Well I opened my big mouth and offered to make a F-4C Phantom, for free, for a guy that used to pilot them out of Thailand 72-73 out of UDORN.  Little did I know it was a RF-4C with the 14thTRS.  I have the Tamiya F-4C/D kit and the Revel F-4E kit at 1/32.  I found a Revell RF-4C 1/32 on Ebay for about $90.  So I will look in to converting what I already have vs buying from ebay.

If any one wants to trade me their 1/32 RF-4C kit I have monster stash to pick from and will pay all postage.  Any after market items or leads will be much appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help in advance.

-Frank

I drew and had printed by Draw Decal the essentials for LORAN Towel Rail RF-4C 68-0604 / OZ from the 14th TRS, which was shot down in August 1972. It includes the crew names for the left side of the canopies (there were none on the R/H side), who were not onboard when it went down. I should have a couple of sets left somewhere: they are printed on solid clear decal sheet so need cutting out.

If of help, let me know. No charge. I also have some pics of the jet I could pass on in an email (and of other Udorn jets from that time which I'm sure Don Logan would not object to me passing on if for your use only, although I've been out of touch for three years).

best of luck

Tony 

there is a kit for sale on ebay for about $54 plus postage or you can buy this conversion kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-4E-Phantom-Recce-Nose-Conversion-for-Tamiya-1-32-Avionix-32004/283118389509?epid=1333823701&hash=item41eb2bc905:g:05UAAOSwZrVbdDPw

I have the conversion kit and it works easiest with the tamiya F-4E model (nose is cut where the RF-4 is) otherwise you'll need to do some surgery on the "C" nose to shorten it.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 9:55 AM, Tony T said:

I drew and had printed by Draw Decal the essentials for LORAN Towel Rail RF-4C 68-0604 / OZ from the 14th TRS, which was shot down in August 1972. It includes the crew names for the left side of the canopies (there were none on the R/H side), who were not onboard when it went down. I should have a couple of sets left somewhere: they are printed on solid clear decal sheet so need cutting out.

If of help, let me know. No charge. I also have some pics of the jet I could pass on in an email (and of other Udorn jets from that time which I'm sure Don Logan would not object to me passing on if for your use only, although I've been out of touch for three years).

best of luck

Tony 

Tony,

Thank you oh so very much for the offer.  I have acquired a 14th TRS decal sheet frof Hannants.  How does this compare and are there any short comings for the unit?  I also have the Big Scale Stencils from Speed Hunter Graphics.  I also am waiting to find out exactly what aircraft he used LORAN or otherwise.  I will keep your kind offer in mind as I travel down this road and we will see what comes up.  Thank you very much!!

-Frank

On 8/22/2018 at 10:56 AM, Shawn M said:

i can check our show swap meet in 2 weeks for ya

Shawn,

Thank you for the offer but I was able to work out a deal for a Revell RF-4C kit w/resin cockpit.  I do very much appreciate the offer!

-Frank

On 8/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, Sgt Shultz II said:

there is a kit for sale on ebay for about $54 plus postage or you can buy this conversion kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/RF-4E-Phantom-Recce-Nose-Conversion-for-Tamiya-1-32-Avionix-32004/283118389509?epid=1333823701&hash=item41eb2bc905:g:05UAAOSwZrVbdDPw

I have the conversion kit and it works easiest with the tamiya F-4E model (nose is cut where the RF-4 is) otherwise you'll need to do some surgery on the "C" nose to shorten it.

Ron

Ron,

Thank for the offer but I was able to work out a deal, see post above.  I did look at the conversion as an option but in the end I when with just getting the Revell kit.  I am not sure that I am willing to deal with all the other issues that the Tamiya kit has after reading the tweaks list.  I will have to but Metal landing gear for the Revell kit but as I am already buying a ton of after market upgrades and wasn't worried about a few more dollars.  I really want to make this build right.  Thank you for the information!!

On 9 September 2018 at 9:33 PM, SapperSix said:

Tony,

Thank you oh so very much for the offer.  I have acquired a 14th TRS decal sheet frof Hannants.  How does this compare and are there any short comings for the unit?  I also have the Big Scale Stencils from Speed Hunter Graphics.  I also am waiting to find out exactly what aircraft he used LORAN or otherwise.  I will keep your kind offer in mind as I travel down this road and we will see what comes up.  Thank you very much!!

-Frank

Hi Frank, I've located the Draw Decal strips. They are printed on solid clear decal backing and were drawn based on actual Spring 1972 photos. The strip features white OZ tailcodes, serial number, Vietnam era ejection triangles (red on bigger white rectangles), and the crew names Eiklberry & Clark in white to be applied over red painted canopy hood edges. 

68-604 was shot down over RP1 by AAA on 13 Agust 1972, William Gauntt becoming a POW and Francis Townsend KIA. It wasn't "their" aircraft. 

The Printscale decal seems based on artwork rather than photos and the red bunny looks wrong, or unusual. I believe the bunny logos were added in late 1972 onwards and were mostly white with a red eye, bow and inlay in the ears. 

HTH

Tony

On 9/10/2018 at 4:11 PM, Tony T said:

Hi Frank, I've located the Draw Decal strips. They are printed on solid clear decal backing and were drawn based on actual Spring 1972 photos. The strip features white OZ tailcodes, serial number, Vietnam era ejection triangles (red on bigger white rectangles), and the crew names Eiklberry & Clark in white to be applied over red painted canopy hood edges. 

68-604 was shot down over RP1 by AAA on 13 Agust 1972, William Gauntt becoming a POW and Francis Townsend KIA. It wasn't "their" aircraft. 

The Printscale decal seems based on artwork rather than photos and the red bunny looks wrong, or unusual. I believe the bunny logos were added in late 1972 onwards and were mostly white with a red eye, bow and inlay in the ears. 

HTH

Tony

Tony,

Thank you for the information.  I would like to take you up on your kind offer.  Having said that, I have a pretty good stash, maybe I can send something you need your way in exchange?

-Frank

I have three sets left and just want postage + £2 token hassle money for the envelope, cardboard and trip to the PO 

PM me and I'll get them off on a Saturday, wife permitting. If you want a spare, no extra charge. That leaves just one. 

Cheers

Tony 

• 2 weeks later...