F4U-1A Lt. Doris C. „Chico“ Freeman

Miloslav1956

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Lovely, F4U ! ... but shouldn't the nat. insigna's surrounds be red, rather than this quite bright med. blue ?

Sorry.  This is a very old and incorrect view. Unfortunately, it is still presented. Red character trimming was used only from 28 June 1943 to 14 August 1943. The Insignia Red outline was replaced with an Insignia Blue outline through the amendment of the Army-Navy aeronautical specification AN-I-9 on 14 August 1943. This was followed by an Amendment to Technical Order 07-1-1, issued on 24 September 1943, for units in the field. On some US Navy aircraft in the Pacific the blue outline was lighter than the insignia blue.
VF-17 combat deployment was November 1, 1943

5 hours ago, Miloslav1956 said:

Sorry.  This is a very old and incorrect view. Unfortunately, it is still presented. Red character trimming was used only from 28 June 1943 to 14 August 1943. The Insignia Red outline was replaced with an Insignia Blue outline through the amendment of the Army-Navy aeronautical specification AN-I-9 on 14 August 1943. This was followed by an Amendment to Technical Order 07-1-1, issued on 24 September 1943, for units in the field. On some US Navy aircraft in the Pacific the blue outline was lighter than the insignia blue.
VF-17 combat deployment was November 1, 1943

Of course, I agree regarding the red surround, but is there any color evidence regarding this "brighter & lighter" blue surround ? Thanks.

Great model perfectly finished, anyway :)