dora9

1 hour ago, BiggTim said:

Man, that is one of my holy grail kits....

If you can find one go for it! It's such a humongus beast with tons of details. OOB with nice paint job and weathering you can have a really nice model on your shelves.

And it's smaller than a 1/24 Mossie!

On 8/31/2018 at 3:50 PM, dora9 said:

The turret ammo racks are OK, it's the hull racks that are too wide and should be pointing outward, so as to not interfere with the turret. It's almost a total rebuild of those racks and the front ones wich are only made for three rounds instead of four. AFV are making a set of new ammo racks in resin.

I knew you'd be on top of that.

I saw this kit built and on display at the Deutsches Panzer Museum in Munster.  I was STUNNED at how big it is in person.  It's huge! 

I have the 1/16 Panzer IV and it's no contest in size, though that shouldn't be a surprise as a Königstiger is a hell of a lot bigger than a Panzer IV.

The turret and gun barrel alone are like a real scale firearm or something!  

On 8/21/2018 at 4:57 PM, Maxim said:

This is probably the best book on building Trumpeters King Tiger

http://shop.afvmodeller.com/customer/product.php?productid=18721&cat&page

Way too expensive. While I have a ton of references on the entire Tiger family, this will never be one of them.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:14 PM, dora9 said:

So just for the fun of it I added the turret top and decided to weigh the hole thing. 598 grams

VK1jTZsh.jpg

So this is where I am now so stay tuned!

What's up with the barrel? That looks like a recoil spring of some sort, but I was unaware of the KT having a recoil spring of any sort, relying on dampers inside the turret instead.

4 hours ago, ringleheim said:

I knew you'd be on top of that.

I saw this kit built and on display at the Deutsches Panzer Museum in Munster.  I was STUNNED at how big it is in person.  It's huge! 

I have the 1/16 Panzer IV and it's no contest in size, though that shouldn't be a surprise as a Königstiger is a hell of a lot bigger than a Panzer IV.

The turret and gun barrel alone are like a real scale firearm or something!  

The King Kitty wasn't a small machine in any way! But I was surprise on the size comparisson with a Centurion tank. The Tiger is wider but the Centurion is a bit longer and they where about the same height.

6 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Way too expensive. While I have a ton of references on the entire Tiger family, this will never be one of them.

Never say never! I have a pile of Tiger references, too, but for building the Trumpy kit, that book is by far the best. Parker rebuilds about every detail on the kit, especially the interior, and provides a lot of reference photos.

I second that. It is an amazing book with lot of pictures from the build and all the modification he did on the kit. A bunch of B&W pics of Tiger in service.

Took him 3 and a half years to do it.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:18 PM, dora9 said:

The King Kitty wasn't a small machine in any way! But I was surprise on the size comparisson with a Centurion tank. The Tiger is wider but the Centurion is a bit longer and they where about the same height.

King Tiger is no doubt very large and imposing when you see one in person.

I was also quite surprised by Panthers when I first saw them.  To me, they are basically just as big and imposing as the King Tiger.  I think they are actually more impressive in size than a Tiger I.

Panthers and King Tigers both almost have the appearance of modern machines; they almost seem out of place as WWII vehicles.  

Anyway, back to your nice build thread! 

Keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

'. . . and primed it.'

What are you using as a primer?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

I start with Humbrol hull red and add a bit of red in it. I find the hull red a bit too brown. Using enamel as primer because I want something with more "grip" than acrylic.

1 hour ago, dora9 said:

Ooooh! NF II or just black primer?

If you are talking about my Mosquito ? It's the one in progress in the NF-groupbuild.

The wings are finished.Fuselage needs the final coat.

Edited by Erwin