thierry laurent

Aircraft/military museums in Southern England?

Hi folks, 

Next week I will be leaving Belgium for one week of rest. I will be in Dorset. I already considered going with my son to the Fleet air arm museum in Yeovilton and the tank museum in Bovington. Is there any other interesting site to see in the area? 

Thanks in advance for any interesting hint. 

Cheers 

Thierry 

Posted (edited)

Hi Thierry,

there is the "Boscombe Down museum" located at Old Sarum which is focused on British military Aviation testing over the years. Old Sarum is a grass airfield from many years ago and will have some activity. If you decide to go to that some 6 miles away is the Boscombe Down airfield with a couple of viewing areas.

Steve.

Edited by Stevepd

You're coming to a beautiful part of the UK Thierry but there's not a lot here aviation-wise I'm afraid other than the FAA. Compton Abbas airfield may be worth a visit, perched up on a hill with stunning views across the county and a great restaurant for tea and cake. There's a Harvard based there which may be flying. If you want other non-aviation related ideas in the area let me know. :) 

Hi Thierry,

Traffic around the Blanford Forum area could no "will" be heavy as the 50th Great Dorset Steam Fair is on from the 23rd to 27th August over 500 steam engines and well over 200,000 plus visitors.

If you need any more info just let me know, the chap that I work with in the 3D side his office is there and is complaining on a daily basis about hold ups for traction engines !!! 

Posted (edited)

I would strongly recommend a trip to Portsmouth as someone has said.  There is a wealth of military history and related museums there:

The Dockyard - this includes:

HMS Victory

HMS Warrior

The Mary Rose

The Royal Navy Museum

...and more - you really need a whole day for the dockyard alone.

Then there is, of particular note:

The D Day Museum

The Royal Marine Museum (one of my all time favourites)

i would also recommend a boat trip around the harbour to se the warships in dock.

There is more as well including Napoleonic fortifications and WW2 defences.

You need 2 or 3 days in Pompey.

Edited by BarryWilliams