Late WW2 Corsair Configuration

John1

Just received my Fundekals order (looks great BTW).  Will be starting the Tamiya F4U-1D (looks absolutely amazing) shortly.  I think the hardest part of this build will be trying to decide which subject out of all the ones presented on Jenning's "Whistling Death" sheet to build.  I'm down to two variants:

• White 79 of VMF-511 off the USS Block Island (an F4U-1D) or

• White 51 of VF-85, off the USS Shangri-La (an FG-1D).

If you want to see them in detail, head over to http://fundekals.com and download the 49 (yes that is correct) page instruction manual.   Lots of great info present on it. 

Judging by the BuNo's and Dana Bell's very useful book on the Corsair, both of these subject are relatively late production -1D's.  Far as I can tell, they would have the following modifications over earlier versions, (I'll need to modify the kit for most of these):

No walkways on the wings

cockpit flare gun deleted entirely

Delete upper wing ID light

Delete lower wing landing light

Left arm armor plate 

Under seat armor plate

Flap step

Left side windshield hand grip (anyone have a pic of this?)

Thin metal bracket on top of seat for seatbelts

Black cockpit sidewalls (not 100% sure on this, may only apply to the FG-1D (they started painting new aircraft this way in March, 45), any guidance appreciated).  Remainder of cockpit is Interior Green. No components in DGG by this time

Fill in cockpit vent in fuselage

Fill in wing fuel tank fill ports

I think that's it.  Only other component I'm sure on his the provisions for the pilot's G-Suit.  These consist of the pressure hose attached to the pilot's seat and an external line that runs from the engine to underneath the cockpit.  Any thoughts on adding these stuff or not?  Any decent pics out there of the external pipe?

That's it.  If I'm missing anything or you have additional info, please let me know.

Regards,

John

Edited by John1