D.B. Andrus

Looking for recommendations.....

Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2018 at 8:03 AM, Stevepd said:

If you're into jets, Revells 1/32 Hawker Hunter easy build and good results for no real effort.

steve.

Second that, although I made a few more difficulties for myself by using a True Details cockpit.  It's matt black, so the enhancement provided is not enough to justify the effort.   Next time I'll just use the kit cockpit with a replacement seat, assuming I can find one.  Sticking with British jets, the Revell Hawk is a also a simple straightforward and enjoyable build of what is imo a classic trainer in the Tiger Moth/T-6 class.  The Arrows version is uaually available (which is patchy) slightly cheaper than the other, but it is moulded in bright red plastic.

Edited by MikeC

Hi Damian,

I do not recommend the Hasegawa P-40 kits as the inserts fit is not really good and a source of frustration to get correct panel lines. The other aspects are very good but that part is not what I would consider to be a relaxed build sequence. For a weird reason, the fit of the Hasegawa kits is generally excellent for all major parts but not for the inserts of various kits...!?! Unfortunately, the P-40 kits have an important number of inserts (spine, nose exhausts, tail, wing MG). So, as far as you avoid the kits with such features, Hasegawa kits are very nice. Typically, their kits of Japanese planes are better.

The recent Revell WW2 kits are a good idea. I recommend the Mustang or the 190 kits as they are quite accurate and relatively easy to build even if a little bit complex. The Revell Hunter is older but still an excellent option.

The DML Me 109 and 110 are also recommended: excellent fit and accurate kits. You have to look after a good price but that does not look to be terribly difficult in the US.

It is actually quite difficult to recommend large scale kits that are reasonably accurate, easy to build and not too expensive... :-(

Cheers

T.

On 8/17/2018 at 10:10 PM, tjtx said:

I enjoy Hasegawa kits for exactly this.  I just started a P-47 as a simple relaxing build.  They fit good, look good, and always help my mojo.

I agree with this,and,I am smart,talented,experienced,and modest...

cheers.   Bigern.  

Hey, Damian, for an off-beat build that is a nice OOB build, you might think about a Trumpeter Yak-18 or CJ-6. They have good detail and can be found CHEAP. Here is one I did OOB:

yak3.jpg

On 8/20/2018 at 2:06 PM, thierry laurent said:

Hi Damian,

I do not recommend the Hasegawa P-40 kits as the inserts fit is not really good and a source of frustration to get correct panel lines. The other aspects are very good but that part is not what I would consider to be a relaxed build sequence. For a weird reason, the fit of the Hasegawa kits is generally excellent for all major parts but not for the inserts of various kits...!?! Unfortunately, the P-40 kits have an important number of inserts (spine, nose exhausts, tail, wing MG). So, as far as you avoid the kits with such features, Hasegawa kits are very nice. Typically, their kits of Japanese planes are better.

Fair comment, but I honestly dont remember mine being that bad? was there possibly revisions to this kit? I do remember the tail plug thing (but lots of kits have that for different and I hate bad fitting stuff like you describe, but for me (and I cant model near as well as most on here) mine went together very satisfactorily with little to no sanding or filling I can recall.

I should post a pic of it I guess and I will soon as I realise I've not really posted any pictures of my finished stuff before.

Someone mentioned the Revell 1/32 Hunter, absolutely agree on that one, have a near finished one too, for an old kit it fits together very well I thought.