1/32 Marauder

AlexM

Thank you all  for your kind words

13 hours ago, Jack said:

Can't wait to see the final product, keep it up!!!!

3 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

I really look forward to seeing this finished!!

#MeToo :D

2 hours ago, misha71 said:

what printer do you use?

I use a Ultimaker 3. Most parts are printed with HIPS (styrene). Some parts of the wings around the nacelles are printed with PLA, as otherwise I got problems with some warping of the material while cooling down.

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

I think I’ve looked at these pictures a dozen times in the last 24 hours.  Ha ha. 

This is so impressive.   The schemes are so plentiful.   I see the the separate flaps even.   The engine cowlings look so cool.  What a lovely beast of a project to undertake.   Looking forward to this Alex.  Thanks for sharing this with us!   

Troy 

Thanks Troy, the flaps/cowling/nacelles-area was pretty diffcult, and is probably not fully accurat. Especially the end of the nacelles was problematic, and I didn't manage to create this area  satisfactorily  as 3d-model.  I ended up printing a simple flat upper side, and sculpting the lower fairing between nacelle and wing with putty. Here is a comparison between a early test print (left) with the final wing I'll be using:

pKCPY9t.jpg

The wave of the future.  Certainly a difference between the end of the nacelles between early and late examples.  How far do you plan to go on the interior details?    You mentioned splitting the fuselage soon.  I can’t even imagine the amount of details inside to reproduce.   Again, thanks for sharing this with us mortals Alex.  

An enjoyable progress to see unfold. 

Troy 

5 hours ago, Shawn M said:

wow, this is fantastic!

Thank you, Shawn!

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

How far do you plan to go on the interior details?    You mentioned splitting the fuselage soon.  I can’t even imagine the amount of details inside to reproduce.   Again, thanks for sharing this with us mortals Alex.  

An enjoyable progress to see unfold. 

Troy 

It just happended:

yUT1jXu.jpg

Since both bomb bays remain closed, they won't get much attention. The rear bay with the bottom windows will get some frames (recessed lines for the frames are already on the printed part). Here is a great reference for the interior:

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/WWII_tour/WWII-10.html

I just wonder (as always) about the interior color. Was everything green like on the museum aircraft? According to this site, the rear fuselage was aluminium :hmmm:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-ii/

1 hour ago, Dan Paxton said:

Yep, I'm in awe yet again.  What software are you using to design the major components?

Excellent work

Cheers, Dan

Evertything is done with Sketchup (with some plugins installed to make it more capable)

Cheers

Alex

Alex,

do legst di nieda! (Bavarian for: Oh my god, how impressive is that!)

I guess, that kind of modelling will become a major part for the next years to come!

I´m really impressed by the quality of those parts you have printed so far.

Two questions:

- would you offer these parts/castings for sale?

- could you tell how much this model will be once you have finished it? Just to have an idea how expensive such a model would be

Servus

Reimund

43 minutes ago, Isar 30/07 said:

Alex,

I guess, that kind of modelling will become a major part for the next years to come!

Two questions:

- could you tell how much this model will be once you have finished it? Just to have an idea how expensive such a model would be

Servus

Reimund

Yes, please let us know!! Just amazing work!!

Cheers

Alan

10 hours ago, Cap'n Wannabe said:

What program did you use for the design?  I've been using Inventor for my BN-2, but it has some limitations I haven't yet come up with a workaround for..

Evertything is done with Sketchup (with some plugins installed to make it more capable, most important Curviloft). I don't know many other programs, but from what I have read, Sketchup is rather a entry level software with basic features compared to othter programs. Without plugins, it is not suitable for that kind of modeling. But I like it for its ease of use.

2 hours ago, Isar 30/07 said:

Alex,

Two questions:

Servus

Reimund

Griaß di und vergelt's Gott :D

At the moment, it is rather unlikely that  I'll make a business out of this. I'm glad to find enough free time aside from my regular work for a bit modeling.  One should not praise oneself, but I'm really good in starting new projects. However, my skills in actually finishing something are still improvable :whistle:

The cowlings just got another coat of filler. When looking on the inside, you can see that the printed surface is pretty rough and needs a lot of sanding.

0bo913u.jpg

I'm thinking about making this as the Georgia's on my Mind (from the Warpaint Book). The combination of upper camouflage with metal underside is very tempting. But since metal surfaces are very unforgiving in regards to scratches, this will need much care. I already got some masks from Maketar paint masks.

8LIVr2T.jpg

gUyZcOI.jpg

Here are the moulds for vacuforming of the major clear parts of the fuselage. They were printed in a rather high resolution (0,04 mm layer hight). After sanding and filling, they were dipped a few times into "Future" to get s shiny finish.

BttvOdZ.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM