1/32 Marauder

AlexM

Hey Alex,

Amazing job, as usual, on one of my favourite subjects, the B-26 Maurader.  I've largely been absent here since Telford, and it will be a while before I can get back to building, but I saw your reference to Flak Bait.  I live not far from Udvar Hazy and was there during last year's open house when they had Flak Bait in the restoration hangar.    I put my Flak Bait pictures into a folder on DropBox for you to take a look at.  Not sure if there is anything you can use, but hope so.  Let me know if you want the original (raw) files if you need to enlarge something. Sorry not to have seen your thread earlier.

Keep up the great work!

Chris

On 2/25/2020 at 3:29 AM, Bruce said:

there is a 3D printing outfit that could do the gear in stainless steal.   Xometry.com  They do great work.  you send the drawing and they will give a quote online.

If you use them,tell them I sent you

Bruce Radebaugh

I'm having them do a 1/32 B-29 cockpit (nose to pressure bulkhead.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:00 PM, Starfighter said:

Excellent work as usual, Alex! I wanted to have the landing gear legs for my Viking to be metal sintered but that costs a small fortune - I think the price was around €75 for a single landing gear leg. Printing them in castable wax and having them cast by a goldsmith could be a good idea. It'S my plan for the Skywarrior landing gear at least. 

I once thought about metal 3d printing, and uploaded the file on www.3dhubs.com. Two pieces would cost 212 € in stainless steel. Aluminium would be a bargain for only 180 € :lol:

Since my current landing gear stayed stable so far, and shows no signs of material fatigue, I'll continue with them. In the worst case, I can still switch to stronger alternative.

15 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Hey Alex,

Amazing job, as usual, on one of my favourite subjects, the B-26 Maurader.  I've largely been absent here since Telford, and it will be a while before I can get back to building, but I saw your reference to Flak Bait.  I live not far from Udvar Hazy and was there during last year's open house when they had Flak Bait in the restoration hangar.    I put my Flak Bait pictures into a folder on DropBox for you to take a look at.  Not sure if there is anything you can use, but hope so.  Let me know if you want the original (raw) files if you need to enlarge something. Sorry not to have seen your thread earlier.

Keep up the great work!

Chris

Very nice :clap2:

Even though it's in plain sight, I'm still not entierly sure how to interprete some interior colors, especially at the bombardier section. I thought to do most in aluminium, but apparently it was at least partially painted in ... well ... maybe bronze green? Or grey?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6j910hu3y308ged/AAAYV1_LjHDPlPwNlbNck8Mea/DSC_0624.jpg?dl=0

On 2/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, AlexM said:

Very nice :clap2:

Even though it's in plain sight, I'm still not entierly sure how to interprete some interior colors, especially at the bombardier section. I thought to do most in aluminium, but apparently it was at least partially painted in ... well ... maybe bronze green? Or grey?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6j910hu3y308ged/AAAYV1_LjHDPlPwNlbNck8Mea/DSC_0624.jpg?dl=0

Hey Alex!  It looks to be more of a bronze green or interior green at least from a bit of a distance and overhead lighting.  Not sure if it had been painted before it arrived at UH.

If you want, I can see about going back and specifically photographing anything you need.

Chris

7 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Not sure if it had been painted before it arrived at UH.

The guy in my video said it's in it's original paint and they aren't touching any of the paint,

just bringing out what's already there.

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

If you want, I can see about going back and specifically photographing anything you need.

Chris

Hi Chris, that would probably be asking too much of me. But if you happen to be back there, some more photos/information concerning the interior colors would be awesome. Especially concerning the forward bombardier section, as well as the very end section where the rear turret is mounted.

Currently, my painting plan is as follows:

• Floor of the cockpit and navigator section (just behind the cockpit): black/dark grey
  • sidewalls of the cockpit and navigator section: something brownish-greenish, maybe olive drab (seems to be some kind of fabric cover)
  • rest of the rear fuselage: aluminium (bomb bay might also be grey, but I'll leave it in aluminium, since that section will be hardly visible anyway)
  • very end fuselage section behind the rear gunner, where the guns are mounted: some kind of green (maybe olive drab - for anti-glare reasons :hmmm:)
  • forward bombardier section: sidewalls seem to have the same brown-green fabric cover like the cockpit/navigator sections; very forward frame where the clear nose is mounted seems to be aluminium
  • bulkheads: generally aluminium, but the forward bulkhead between the bombardier and cockpit section seems to be painted in - maybe - bronze green
  • dorsal Martin 250CE turret: black/dark grey; though on the photos of the faded Flak Bait turret, the armour shields apparently are in some kind of green (maybe again olive drab :hmmm:)

The color topic remains exciting, so any additional information is higly welcomed.

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, AlexM said:

Hi Chris, that would probably be asking too much of me. But if you happen to be back there, some more photos/information concerning the interior colors would be awesome. Especially concerning the forward bombardier section, as well as the very end section where the rear turret is mounted.

Currently, my painting plan is as follows:

• Floor of the cockpit and navigator section (just behind the cockpit): black/dark grey
  • sidewalls of the cockpit and navigator section: something brownish-greenish, maybe olive drab (seems to be some kind of fabric cover)
  • rest of the rear fuselage: aluminium (bomb bay might also be grey, but I'll leave it in aluminium, since that section will be hardly visible anyway)
  • very end fuselage section behind the rear gunner, where the guns are mounted: some kind of green (maybe olive drab - for anti-glare reasons :hmmm:)
  • forward bombardier section: sidewalls seem to have the same brown-green fabric cover like the cockpit/navigator sections; very forward frame where the clear nose is mounted seems to be aluminium
  • bulkheads: generally aluminium, but the forward bulkhead between the bombardier and cockpit section seems to be painted in - maybe - bronze green
  • dorsal Martin 250CE turret: black/dark grey; though on the photos of the faded Flak Bait turret, the armour shields apparently are in some kind of green (maybe again olive drab :hmmm:)

The color topic remains exciting, so any additional information is higly welcomed.

Cheers

Alex

Alex, Sorry, been tied up at work.  Ok. let me see what I can get for you.  Our club meeting is Tuesday and we have a couple of docents who work at Udvar Hazy so let me see if we can get something good for you.  Fingers Crossed!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

NMUSAF was particularly inaccurate in their older "restorations."  Not a good source.  If you look at pics in various cockpit publications, the have indiscrimiately sprayed interiors (eveything) with green chromate color.

More recent work there may be better.

Edited by levier
Sp