1/32 Marauder

AlexM

Well, I missed that one! A Havoc/Boston in 1/32nd scale - now that's one I might consider buying. Let's see - a 1/32nd scale He 111, Ju 88, He 219, B-17, B-24 (whatever its problems), Lancaster, A-20, A/B-26 Invader... I'll definitely need a bigger house, and bank account. Now how about a Pe-2 or Tu-2 for us Soviet aircraft modellers, like myself?

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2019 at 4:09 AM, Learstang said:

Well, I missed that one! A Havoc/Boston in 1/32nd scale - now that's one I might consider buying. Let's see - a 1/32nd scale He 111, Ju 88, He 219, B-17, B-24 (whatever its problems), Lancaster, A-20, A/B-26 Invader... I'll definitely need a bigger house, and bank account. Now how about a Pe-2 or Tu-2 for us Soviet aircraft modellers, like myself?

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

so true, those Soviet twins in "our" scale would be great, as well as an Il-4.

On 11/24/2019 at 5:20 AM, SCRATCH BUILDER said:

Still nice work Alex :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot!

Christmas holiday means modeling time :frantic:

Sooner or later, the day will come when the fuselage halves get glued together. Before that, most interiors have to be done. One big challenge is the Martin 250 CE turret. I collected all photos I found, as well some handbooks and manuals. But I couldn't find one single scale drawing. The circumstance, that there were apparently variours versions of the turret with detail differneces doesn't make things easier. So, the end-result will contain some artistic licence and simplification. That's the current status of the 3d-model:

YFTDek4.png

uKIX555.png

I also took a closer look on the rear gunner station and realized that the end opening is way to narrow, so the rear section had to be redone. To make it fit to the rest of the fuselage, some comprises were still necassary. It's far from perfect, but hopefully better than the old part:

WZbsWnC.png

ArhFZgS.png

The silver one is the old part

tTF1MMD.jpg

FWHo4aZ.jpg

wrzTFcz.jpg

Hdra35t.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Lothar and Steve

6 minutes ago, mgbgtv8steve said:

I agree with Lothar and all the others - this is fantastic work Alex and a joy to follow!! Have you considered 'selling' this to someone like Tamiya or HKM then we could all have a brilliant B.26!!?

Best regards,

Steve S.

I'm afraid I couldn't stand the calls for pitchforks, tar and feather due to the countless flaws and inaccuracies :D It's all based on drawings from the warpaint book, photos and good (or bad) guessing.

But apparently, there is a 1/32 Marauder kit in the work from Resin2Detail, and the (CAD)pictures I saw so far look pretty promising.

I've never built a resin kit, but I would definitely consider this one! Been on my "must have" list forever. 

Your CAD work is impressive and I'm sure the finished product will be awesome. Oh, and please don't use vac form clear parts - clear resin please.

Just printed the corrugated floor for the rear gunner station.

Cn2MazQ.jpg

And I found this document which contains some information about the rear Bell M-6 turret.

http://hangarthirteen.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Pages_from_Army-Navy_Index_of_Aeronautical_Equipment_-_Volume_5_-_Armament_Section_2.1_Gunnery.pdf

The end fuselage section, which is printed with resin, is glued on a thin styrene sheet with superglue. So, it can later be attached to the rest of the fuselage with normal model cement without the risk of fogging on any clear parts.

Alex

Edited by AlexM

• 5 weeks later...

Little Marauder update:

Over the weekend, I made some more clear vacuformed parts for the nose, turret and tail. The nose must be redone as I wasn't careful enough when romoving from the mould, so what you see is just for a quick demonstration:

XlCyeRE.jpg

V5yh1jp.jpg

HCQF7EL.jpg

I64WDqV.jpg

y9TEsII.jpg

uZmCuPM.jpg

It all still need some clean-up, but overall the plan seems to work out.

I enlarged the opening in the fuselage for the turret since I have the impression the turret is too small on the plan from the Warpaint book. Somewhere I read that the turret diameter is 41 inch.

Talking about the turret, the obvious question arises: what color for the turret? On some pictures they are some kind of interior green:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4908/44189918460_86a363267c.jpg

That's the turret from Flak Bait:

https://thumbs-media.smithsonianmag.com/filer/86/6f/866f22ba-be2d-49fa-b846-9b78c6983c8a/4.jpg__1072x0_q85_upscale.jpg

Here, the turret seems to be metal/aluminium:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5099/5521447033_6b3d731ef3_b.jpg

Here not:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/HG_DQC1deB0/maxresdefault.jpg

Here on the production line, they are black/dark grey:

http://320thbg.org/martin_marauder/domes_destruction.jpg

At the moment, I tend to black/dark grey for my model, but any additional information would be welcome.

Cheers

Alex.

Nice one Alex! This is really a motivational and inspirational type WIP IMHO.  I think the future of our hobby in part lies in the 3D world, and I suspect like every single other type of medium advance it will eventually be easier to do and more cost effective. 

The end result here of the model itself is a dazzling display of what can be done if you have the knowledge and skill. Looking forward to more! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, again little progress.

One thing that causes headache is the main landing gear, which is angeled forward in a scary way, while the whole model is rather heavy, not least because of the counterweights to prevent the notorious tail-sitting. The green one, which is printed as one single part, is in no way strong enough, will bend and propably breake. I'm thinking about metal casting by a goldsmith, but I guess this wouldn't be cheap. So right now, I'll try a multi-piece landing gear with 2mm steel rod enforcement. The upper part of the fork now consists of two halves which cover a bent steel rod.  There are still weak spots, but maybe it works. Whish me luck :D

L8KLJVp.jpg

cCRcnCJ.jpg

KFBu97g.jpg

Cheers

Alex