1/32 Marauder

AlexM

56 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

This is modeling stamina times three.  First you have to model it in the digital world, then print it, then model it.  Wow. 

Good point actually Ron, when you think of it that way, it really gets deep.

6 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

This is modeling stamina times three.  First you have to model it in the digital world, then print it, then model it.  Wow. 

Stunned

You are absolutely right - most people seem to forget this when you say a part or an entire model were 3D printed. 

Thanks guys, very encouraging. While I really like creating larger parts like a fuselage, and to see how the shape starts to resemble more and more the one of the real aircarft from step to step, creating all those tiny interior details is pretty laborious, especially when there are no plans/blueprints, so that I have to rely on photos, with my interpreations and good (or bad :D) guesses about size, dimentions and overall shape of the various things.

Talking about interior details, I plan to purchase the Hobby Boss B-24D, once it is out, and wonder if the upper fuselage turret of this kit is good? (I whish there would be an after market turret I could use for this project)

I don't know what your resources are,:

https://www.3dnatives.com/en/top-10-low-cost-3d-scanners280320174/

but you can buy a 3D scanner inexpensively.  This way you can buy a model, say the B-17, B-25, B-24, or Catalina, which have interiors, scan the interior parts, then clean up the image.

Sincerely,

Mark

10 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

but you can buy a 3D scanner inexpensively.  This way you can buy a model, say the B-17, B-25, B-24, or Catalina, which have interiors, scan the interior parts, then clean up the image.

Hope this doesn't sound like a Bam Hammer and not meant to be but something to think about.

Sounds like a great idea and a time saver.......But there should be some ethical issues that go with this, Alex probably is not going to make this for resale so not much of a problem....but other people have put a lot of time into those kits and i dont feel there work should be compromised.

If you want to use the kits as reference then so be it.

• 1 month later...

Sooo, again after a little while, I have a few days holiday and I hope to make a bit progress. Unfortunately, instead of actually finishing anything, yet another aircraft got my attention, but I hope I won't get too much distracted and can concentrate on my already ongoing projects :doh:

That's the current state of the cockpit. I used the very nice instrument decals from Airscale. I also tried to use the photo etch instrument brezels, but they proved to be a challenge for my sausage fingers. So I just used my printed panel as a base.

nrsuyIJ.jpg?1

Originally I planed to use bombs from the spare box. But since they come from various kits and were all slighty different, I decied to print my own. They got a slot which will make positioning and gluing to the bomb carrier easier.  It's cool to create as much ordonance as desired with - more or less - a mouse-klick :)

ZtMy4T4.jpg

Cheers

Alex

• 3 months later...

Hi there, not much new to report. I just put together the major parts to get some motivation to continue this project.

6aoxQKm.jpg

Yesterday,  I received this huge book, with more than 600 pages full of information

UH6AQZB.jpg

It contains very usefull photos and information, especially concerning the wheel wells, and the rear guns. It also contains great information about camouflage and markings. There is a diagram in the book showing the position and size of markings and invasion sripes. The national insignias are called out "Type 4 (44in / 40in)" for the wings, and "Type 4 (33in / 30in)" for the fuselage. The evolutin from type 1 to type 4 markings is described in the book. But does anyone know exactly what these sizes refer to? I suppose it refers to the circle of the markings :hmmm:

In the meantime, i bought a digital copy of a manual for the Martin 250CE turret on Ebay , which should arrive the next days. I hope it contains some information about the size of the turret. I have the feeling that the round opening on the fuselage of the model is a bit too small, but  before I enlage it, I need exact numbers.  The forthcoming A-20 G should include this turret, but if possible, I'll try to make my own.

Cheers

Alex

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

All I can say is that definitely looks like a Marauder! Excuse my ignorance, but someone is coming out with a 1/32nd scale A-20G?

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

apparently, there is an A-20 G coming from HGW. Look here:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/78116-hgw-a-20g-havoc-in-plastic/

Cheers

Alex