1/32 Marauder

AlexM

Thanks for your kind word.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:50 AM, Starfighter said:

Keep 'em coming, Alex! How did you orient the rear section on the printing surface? Straight or inclined? I am used to inclining parts on the Form2, but it seems the Photon likes parts sitting straight better sometimes.

I'm not sure yet about best method. The rear section was printed inclined, and tourned out nice. From what I have seen on Youtube, I thinks its most important to print everything on support structures, as printing directly on the print plate can result in messy first layers, or the part gets damaged when removing from the build plate.

With all the weight in the engine cowlings/nacelles to prevent tail sitting, this tourns out pretty heavy. The first printed main landing gear parts are definitely not strong enough, especially since those were mounted in a scary angle on the real plane. I'll try another approach, this time, the straight part of the leg is hollow with a 2 mm strong hardened stell rod inside, which sits deep (but not accurate) inside the wheel well. But the bent part (wheel fork or however this is called) is still critical :hmmm:Here is the experimental construction (the green one on the left is the original but too weak leg):

X6KJsrP.jpg

dEKmEdA.jpg

Edited by AlexM

• 3 weeks later...

Alex, regarding the landing gear legs, I am facing the same problem in the very near future - for my Viking, it's too late already. I have thought of printing the legs in castable wax and to cast it in metal. The approach would be pretty much the same jewellery designers use to cast rings and so of from printed masters. Could be an option for your landing gear as well. 

3 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Alex, regarding the landing gear legs, I am facing the same problem in the very near future - for my Viking, it's too late already. I have thought of printing the legs in castable wax and to cast it in metal. The approach would be pretty much the same jewellery designers use to cast rings and so of from printed masters. Could be an option for your landing gear as well. 

You should be able to find a casting service that will take your masters in resin and do lost wax for you. I found one such service in Toronto and they cast the upper wing rigging braces in brass for my WnW Harry Tate for about $25. All I provided them was the kit part.

• 6 months later...

Hello there,

after a short break, there is a very little update. One thing that caused a bit headache here and at my other ongoing projects are the navigation lights. Now i got clear resin for my 3d printer, and printed some parts, that match up with the contours of the wing tips when viewed from above, but arr otherwise square. The actual lights are holes, which got some red/green paint inside. The parts are attached to the wing tips with superglue, and then get sanded down to match up with the wing surface. The printed parts are very easy to sand. I'll try to polish them to get a shiny surface. But I already got a nice result after covering the clear part with "Glue 'n' Glace", some kind of white glue.

In the pictuer, the green light is just glued, while the red one is already sanded down. On the dark test-wing-tip,  the clear part got some Glue 'n' Glace.

lm1VZSe.jpg

I'll try this on the PZL 37, too. This might even be the solution for the Hampden :frantic:

One potential problem of those clear part might be some yellowing when exposed too long to UV light. We'll see how they behave over time.

Cheers

Alex

Thank you, guys

59 minutes ago, SCRATCH BUILDER said:

Hey, excuses are not acceptable here......:popcorn:

Your like an old girlfriend, i take you to dinner, you tease me and then i never hear from you again.  :doh:

Guilty as charched :)

9 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Great to see you're back! 

Yes, I am. And as I see, you weren't idle with your own 3d printing project.

The ailerons of the Marauder were masekd, and got some primer to replicate the fabric cover (hard to see on the photos)

FrQpFvt.jpg

LBCyK4A.jpg

Today I ordered some Vallejo Liquid Mask. Hope this is usefull for masking the navigation lights.

Cheers

Slex