1/32 Marauder

AlexM

Thanks for your kind comments!

6 hours ago, Learstang said:

Great work on the bomb bay! That corrugated roof is pre-corrugated sheet plastic isn't it? I can't imagine you could 3-D print that out - I know my little printer couldn't. Still inspiring work, as in inspiring me to try something similar, albeit on a much smaller scale (maybe a 1/72nd scale racer, such as the Verville-Sperry R-3).

Regards,

Jason

Yes, these are styrene plates I bought some yeas ago when I was dreaming of a Ju-52. It didn't happen, and propably won't happen since I think HKM is working on this one.

12 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Can you use normal cement when you put the white styrene bits on the green printed stuff? Or does it need superglue?

Matt 

Hi Matt, most parts are printed with a material called HIPS, which means High Impact Polystyrene, and can be perfectly glued with normal cement. Some parts of the wings are printed with a material called PLA, which is more difficult to glue. But I found a glue from Pattex which works pretty well on PLA as well on styrene.

http://www.pattex.de/do-it-yourself-mit-pattex-klebstoffe-produkte-new/pattex-klebstoffe/spezialkleber/spezialkleber-modellbau.html

This is indeed cutting edge work. With the PC, and a good 3-D printer (and a lot of modelling skill), just about anything is possible. What this will do to the traditional model companies in the long-term is hard to tell - perhaps they'll take to charging people to download super-detailed files to print out their own kits.

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, williamj said:

WOW!:clap2:...Such talent. Have not seen 3D printing so well done on this scale yet.     :popcorn:

Me either. This is the way of the future of the hobby to me. Im hoping someday the technology gets to the point where home printing wont even have that much of a step/nozzle head size issue and the 3D parts printed will look like  IM parts.  This is as close to that vision as I have yet seen.

Looking forward to more! 

23 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Me either. This is the way of the future of the hobby to me. Im hoping someday the technology gets to the point where home printing wont even have that much of a step/nozzle head size issue and the 3D parts printed will look like  IM parts.  This is as close to that vision as I have yet seen.

Looking forward to more! 

I can't see it beating out mainstream models, but it could easily become the way the aftermarket provides us with stuff. Download a multiple-use file, or have a one-use file sent to your printer, and voila! No waiting, no postage and no packaging needed. You pay for their research and mastering, they do away with a bunch of production and delivery costs  -prices fall. Big manufacturers could also use it for replacement parts - enter a code from the box say and you get to print one copy of a missing or broken part. Or for them to provide parts for conversions so you don't have to buy a whole kit. Save costs on replacements and stimulate buying of parts for conversions that would otherwise be too expensive.

3 minutes ago, thammond65 said:

I can't see it beating out mainstream models, but it could easily become the way the aftermarket provides us with stuff. Download a multiple-use file, or have a one-use file sent to your printer, and voila! No waiting, no postage and no packaging needed. You pay for their research and mastering, they do away with a bunch of production and delivery costs  -prices fall. Big manufacturers could also use it for replacement parts - enter a code from the box say and you get to print one copy of a missing or broken part. Or for them to provide parts for conversions so you don't have to buy a whole kit. Save costs on replacements and stimulate buying of parts for conversions that would otherwise be too expensive.

Yep, that is exactly what I was envisioning.  I would never suspect that 3D printing would fully replace injection but one never knows the future...............I was thinking of it exactly along these lines; AM wonderland, making near any conversion, addition or replacement part a viable process for the home modeler by just paying for, or making up a file to send to a printer

51 minutes ago, thammond65 said:

...and that reminds me what I wrote 5+ years ago into this forum while building my 3D printed Salamadra glider, the first-ever 3D printed complete model kit presented online:

"...We are in front of a new era for scale modeling. Anyone can have access to this CAD designing & 3D printing tool. But as you know, each tool may become 'useful' or 'useless', 'necessary' or 'nonessential', depending on the hand that operates it. What really concerns me, is not so much the introduction of 3D printers as a usefull application into scale modeling, but the possibility that some of the things we take for granted, might never be the same again. For example, it is very likely that the model kits you buy from your local hobby shop, will not continue exist in their present form any more. Have you ever thought, that future shopping will not include visiting your local hobby shop to pick your favorite model kit from the shelves? Have you ever thought, that it is likely to buy the 3D file online and later print it on our home 3D printer, wearing your 3D printed slippers & drinking your coffe into a 3D printed mug same time? Freaky huh?..."

Edited by Nick_Karatzides

A possible interim step that can keep the old way of purchasing a kit in the box and having to have an expensive 3D printer at home is the following.

Choose the kit, scale, etc. you desire, notify the dealer who then notifies the manufacturer(Tamiya, Hasegawa, ICM, et al) of your choice and then they custom print 1/32th Val, Kate or Bell X-3 for you. It is shipped out in the normal manner to your doorstep. This way you can still keep the "hobby shop"(B&M or online) in business. It eliminates stock that doesn't move, reduces the risk on which airplane, tank, car or ship to produce. Tamiya, etc. doesn't even have to do the printing, it can be farmed out to specialty businesses. All they have to do is invest in labor to produce proprietary digital files, advertising and shipping. That's the route I'd prefer, as opposed to purchasing, maintaining and repairing an even not so expensive printer. I would like to build models, not make them and then build them.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

D.B.

Edited by D.B. Andrus
spelink.

2 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

A possible interim step that can keep the old way of purchasing a kit in the box and having to have an expensive 3D printer at home is the following.

Choose the kit, scale, etc. you desire, notify the dealer who then notifies the manufacturer(Tamiya, Hasegawa, ICM, et al) of your choice and then they custom print 1/32th Val, Kate or Bell X-3 for you. It is shipped out in the normal manner to your doorstep. This way you can still keep the "hobby shop"(B&M or online) in business. It eliminates stock that doesn't move, reduces the risk on which airplane, tank, car or ship to produce. Tamiya, etc. doesn't even have to do the printing, it can be farmed out to specialty businesses. All they have to do is invest in labor to produce proprietary digital files, advertising and shipping. That's the route I'd prefer, as opposed to purchasing, maintaining and repairing an even not so expensive printer. I would like to build models, not make them and then build them.

@ D.B. Andrus,

What you describe, already exists and is working! Custom 3D design, 3D producing under any possible scale & any requested material and shipping to customer's door step. Just like ordering pizza at home!

On the other hand, since its' AlexM's thread here for his wonderfull home 3D printed 1/32 Marauder scale model, I think it's not proper (unless he has no problem about it) to present further details about online businesses - just like mine - doing exactly what you said.

Edited by Nick_Karatzides

14 hours ago, Nick_Karatzides said:

...and that reminds me what I wrote 5+ years ago into this forum while building my 3D printed Salamadra glider, the first-ever 3D printed complete model kit presented online:

"...We are in front of a new era for scale modeling. Anyone can have access to this CAD designing & 3D printing tool. But as you know, each tool may become 'useful' or 'useless', 'necessary' or 'nonessential', depending on the hand that operates it. What really concerns me, is not so much the introduction of 3D printers as a usefull application into scale modeling, but the possibility that some of the things we take for granted, might never be the same again. For example, it is very likely that the model kits you buy from your local hobby shop, will not continue exist in their present form any more. Have you ever thought, that future shopping will not include visiting your local hobby shop to pick your favorite model kit from the shelves? Have you ever thought, that it is likely to buy the 3D file online and later print it on our home 3D printer, wearing your 3D printed slippers & drinking your coffe into a 3D printed mug same time? Freaky huh?..."

You forgot "as you sit in the living room of your 3D printed house." :)

Thank you all for your encouraging words :frantic:

16 hours ago, Nick_Karatzides said:

@ D.B. Andrus,

What you describe, already exists and is working! Custom 3D design, 3D producing under any possible scale & any requested material and shipping to customer's door step. Just like ordering pizza at home!

On the other hand, since its' AlexM's thread here for his wonderfull home 3D printed 1/32 Marauder scale model, I think it's not proper (unless he has no problem about it) to present further details about online businesses - just like mine - doing exactly what you said.

Not at all, very interesting discussion.

Talking about the Marauder, since threre are some news about the Resin2Detail kit, I'm very motivated to get this one finished. Sooner or later, I'll have to make a decision about the interior colors.  From what I have read so far, I don't think that everyting was interior green over all (like in the museeum machine). The facts seem to be a bit unclear about the Marauder. I'm thinking about doing everything behind the cockpit/radio operater section in aluminium (like I've already done with the bomb bays). For the forward fuselage starting at the radio operator section, I think about olive drab. 

Do you have any clues what might be accurate :hmmm:

Alex