F-14 Phoenix pallets in 1/32...

One-Oh-Four

On 7/19/2019 at 12:02 AM, Squizzy said:

Any chance of you getting a A-7 sparrow on the market? 

It's pretty low on the list since Eduard already released a set.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:48 AM, Tony T said:

The rubber boots for the fuselage/wing gap could do with a resin replacement (though am uncertain about the market), as well as a revised coaming piece to properly fit over the pilot's IP. 

I'll consider both of these, though I glanced through my Tomcat references and don't really have good enough references for either.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:49 PM, Michael931080 said:

So are these corrected AIM 54 PALLETS for the Tamiya kit in 1/32 or for the Trumpeter kit?

On 7/22/2019 at 2:03 AM, crobinsonh said:

...or both?

They are made to fit the Trumpeter kit.

I did set a pair on the Tamiya kit and it looks like they might fit with a little work.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:17 AM, Tony T said:

Turning out to be an expensive little kitty...

To keep the price down I decided to just fix the horrible forward section.

Pallet_1_zpsldr7mbcv.jpg

I will be starting a thread in the vendors forum in a few days.

:beer:

excellent job Chris:clap2:

On 7/19/2019 at 3:48 PM, Tony T said:

The rubber boots for the fuselage/wing gap could do with a resin replacement (though am uncertain about the market)

+1

On 7/19/2019 at 3:48 PM, Tony T said:

as well as a revised coaming piece to properly fit over the pilot's IP.

Aires cockpit does already include the right coaming......doesn't it?

Edited by Luca

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:46 AM, Zactoman said:

I will be starting a thread in the vendors forum in a few days.

Why does a few days always turn into a week or more? Too many interruptions :BANGHEAD2:

Link is up on the website: https://zactomodels.com/

Thread started in the vendor's forum: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/81403-132-phoenix-pallet-correction-for-trumpeter-f-14s/

Thanks for all of the comments and  "reactions" :beer4:

On 8/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, Luca said:

I could not tell you Maxim...it would take someone to compare them :rolleyes:

the contraindication is that if you withdraw them from the Tamiya kit then on that model what do you put under?

Unlike the F-4 Phantoms that required understores for stability, F-14s flew fine with no understores.

I want to order a set but the postage to the land-of-UK costs more than the parts. I can understand with fragile missiles etc the need to box things, but two sculpted bits of beautifully cast resin could surely make the journey safely by jiffy bag, at lower cost? 

Or is there some kind of US postal regulation? I spent a fortune on two AMS flare dispensers about the size of my index finger nail which came boxed in something that could hold over a dozen cat collars (mit bells).

Cheers

Tony 

7 hours ago, Tony T said:

I want to order a set but the postage to the land-of-UK costs more than the parts. I can understand with fragile missiles etc the need to box things, but two sculpted bits of beautifully cast resin could surely make the journey safely by jiffy bag, at lower cost? 

Or is there some kind of US postal regulation? I spent a fortune on two AMS flare dispensers about the size of my index finger nail which came boxed in something that could hold over a dozen cat collars (mit bells).

Done!

I've got padded envelopes (bubble lined) in stock that should work for these.

International S&H reduced from $14.75 to $7.50 (Canadians can e-mail me for an additional $0.75 discount).

U.S. rate reduced from $4.10 to $1.75.

Combined shipping (of pallets only) is possible using these padded envelopes. I can fit up to 6 sets and S&H only goes up slightly.

I've considered shipping other items this way, but without adding a smaller protective box inside the padded envelope, the risk of breakage is too great.

Add a box inside the padded envelope and the envelope thickness is greater than 3/4" which categorizes it as a package and the S&H goes back up to $14.75...

Thank you for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, Tony T said:

Thanks for making these!  

The rubber boots for the fuselage/wing gap could do with a resin replacement (though am uncertain about the market), as well as a revised coaming piece to properly fit over the pilot's IP. 

Tony

Have to say, after all the other corrections that have been done, these would be a no brainer. Just think, a one stop correction set or the Trumpeter Kitty Kat from Zactomodels. Add a aftermarket pit, tailpipes/exhaust cans, wheelwells, decals.... I know some will complain about costs, but I've seen some of you guys do just as much, even more on other kits. It's also a TOMCAT!!! most every jet builders favorite!!!

Don

Edited by dmthamade

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 7:49 PM, Michael931080 said:

So are these corrected AIM 54 PALLETS for the Tamiya kit in 1/32 or for the Trumpeter kit?

On 7/22/2019 at 2:03 AM, crobinsonh said:

...or both?

On 7/26/2019 at 12:46 AM, Zactoman said:

They are made to fit the Trumpeter kit.

I did set a pair on the Tamiya kit and it looks like they might fit with a little work.

A "potential" customer asked if I could take pics of them on the Tamiya kit so I decided to do that little bit of work to confirm the fit.

All that was required was removing a sliver of material from the top of the Tamiya pallets (they start to curve up where it should be flat). I also removed just a little bit of material from the outboard edge of my casting as well as on the resin-to-pallet mating surface and voilà:

Tamiya_fit_1_zpstn4zkto3.jpg

(Note that the scribing on the Tamiya fitted part was just a test piece. I cleaned up and enhanced it for the finished pattern and castings as seen on the Trumpeter fitted parts.)

Tamiya_fit_2_zps0zh2zkzt.jpg

Tamiya_fit_3_zpsxbkj0upm.jpg

Tamiya_fit_4_zpsfen2yqmh.jpg

The Tamiya part is not that bad in shape but does have raised panel lines that need to be re-scribed.

Scribing just one of those little panel latches wasn't fun, and there are 12 of them on the pair! Not having to scribe those makes it worth replacing them IMHO...

I was watching a video with a former F-14 pilot; he mentioned the extreme weight the Phoenix system added  to an already big, heavy aircraft.  Apparently each of those pallets weighed 500 lbs! 

The missile itself was another 1,000 lbs!