F-14 Phoenix pallets in 1/32...

One-Oh-Four

Hi guys,

Trumpeters 1/32 Phoenix pallets aren’t quite accurate, so I understand.

Are Tamiya’s parts accurate? I am thinking of using those, or (trying to) make castings of them. My own kit is ah... somewhat buried under the rest of the stash at the moment. So instead of bulldozing my way through my personal plastic AMARC, I opt for the easy way out and ask you guys!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Cheers,

Erik B.

I don't know as I don't have a set to compare them.They would have to be better than the undersized Trumpeter examples. Though I like my F-14's without the pallets.

Edited by Maxim

I could not tell you Maxim...it would take someone to compare them :rolleyes:

the contraindication is that if you withdraw them from the Tamiya kit then on that model what do you put under?

Edited by Luca

I prefer sparrows in the forward wells as I like the look of the fuselage stance without the underhang of those massive pallets. Two Phoenix on the rear pallets and 4 Sidewinders on the wing glove pylons.

Edited by Maxim

3 hours ago, Maxim said:

I prefer sparrows in the forward wells as I like the look of the fuselage stance without the underhang of those massive pallets. Two Phoenix on the rear pallets and 4 Sidewinders on the wing glove pylons.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that configuration.  If two only AIM-54s were carried under the belly, I've only seen them under the forward pallets.  I’ve seen no pallets, forward pallets only, or all four pallets.  Never seen rear pallets only, loaded or not.

I've seen it once or twice in the very early days. VF-1 and VF-2 on their first deployment, it was common for them to carry 4 x Sparrows and 4 x Sidewinders.

• 2 weeks later...

Hang on, IIRC the Wolfpack pallets are pretty much copies of the Trumpeter parts, including the incorrect front section. Tamiya parts are good in shape, but lacking in detail. Trumpy parts have shape issues but better detail. There was talk how you could cut off the front of the Tamiya parts, detail ( scribe in the lines ) and use them on the modified Trumpy pylons, but never heard how the fit of the Tamiya fronts were to the Trumpy fuselage.

Don

IIRC from someone else's labours, it's possible to jack them down using plasticard for slightly more depth, along with a workable, tough, filler like Milliput for shaping the aerodynamic fairings that hug the Phoenix radomes.

Always liked the chunky AIM-54 missiles: the Phoenix was the apex of the Hughes Falcon evolution, along with the highly successful AGM-65 Maverick missile (which the Tomcat never used). 

Tony

On 8/26/2018 at 5:14 AM, dmthamade said:

Hang on, IIRC the Wolfpack pallets are pretty much copies of the Trumpeter parts, including the incorrect front section.

any pics? I have the WP Bombcat set (still sealed) and this would not be good news :wacko:

Edited by Luca