Nichimo 1/20 Cessna 172

Hawkwrench

I just scored the very rare 1/20 Cessna 172 from Nichimo off of ebay last week for 230 out the door. A few questions

1) Build it or collect it?

2) Does anyone know how much these are worth?

3) How many of these were produced?

Tim

It's a very nice kit, fairly rare and OOP as far as I know.

Looks like you paid a "normal" price for the kit, its size, quality and rarity.

As for your fist question, I know that our stash accumulation makes us collectors rather than builders, but, personnally, I buy kits with the firm intention to build them, not just collect them (and yes, I have the Cessna in the stash too ;) ). So it is very much up to you to decide what to do with it (You can always store in the stash pretending you'll build it one day, and end up collecting it for future resale :rofl: )

Hubert

I have one , in rather poor condition in the attic, (I bought it that way , only one I could afford),  I have a long and rather painful history with that kit , having bought it when it first came out in the early 70's and  made a complete mess of  both building and painting it .

For the time being its a touchstone to earlier days , and there's no way I'm building it until my retirement , and I can give it it the love it demands. 

I'd say build it , but beware it could end up being a real time thief, there are SO MANY 1/20-1/24 car detailing parts that could be used on this model you could go slightly mad with all the options - I know what I'm talking about here hence the fact my one's waiting for me!

If anyone wants the sad story of my total screw up , just let me know - its a sad sad tale!

One of the other modeling forums I visit the subject of trying to build an older kit was brought up.  The plastic gets very brittle with age.  So my take on it, build it now, or just open the box and ohh and ahhh over it forever.  Because the longer is sits, the harder it might be to successfully build.

In my opinion, if there is an emotional bond, then build it. If not keep it for resale later. You probably paid a little too much if its an investment to resell it right away. I have recently see a few sell for $125 to $175, but not on ebay. As the supply slowly dries up, it will go up in value, just make sure its sealed and preserved.