Hobbycraft 1/32 Nieuport 17 and Sopwith Camel

CANicoll

Making progress, slowly.  I did finish rigging that WNW DH 9a, which was a beast.  Not sure I will ever do that again - rig a plane that has been completely built.  I did learn some new techniques - like using UV-reactive glue and using those tiny Glue Loopers I bought in Telford last year - really handy for getting just bit of thin CA just where I need it.

On the rigging side, getting more done:

pQVpxt.jpgA

And got the engine installed, but not a lot of weathering.

elZxEh.jpg

Have a lot of touch up painting on the struts to do.

Top View:

VU7teb.jpg

Ve1l1J.jpg

Planning on using one of the Barracuda resin seats in the cockpit.  Red chevron is painted, not the decal.  Cockpit is VERY simple.

Bottom view.  Landing gear struts are a little skewed, not sure what to do about that.  It is pretty flexible so have it on a flat surface in the right position.  We'll see if it stays that way.  HUGE seam to fix at the base of the wing.  Actually have not painted the bottom of the fuselage yet.  Had to do a lot of carving to get the horizontal stabilizer to fit, right now it is a very tight fit, but it is just pressed in there.

75fGGZ.jpg

Will see what I get done tomorrow, then off on a business trip so won't get anything done next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress and will get some pictures up here soon.  Got the Nieuport rigged now and still have some landing gear issues with the Camel.

Installed one of the Barracuda resin seats in the Nieuport and need to paint the other one for the Camel...

Sorry for the delays!  Stay tuned!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Definitely making progress all around.  Got the Nieuport rigged up (LOTS of issues with the wing struts coming undone not to mention the landing gear).  After working with the Pfaltz came back to the Camel and got the tail on and the rigging started.  There are far too many holes in the tail to be accurate.  If you are building the Hobbycraft kit, you probably should fill some of the holes.

Also, the struts in the instructions are backwards :  swap the sides for pieces 18 and 19.  It is pretty obvious if you set them into their respective holes on the bottom wing that the angles of the tops are wrong.

hSA2OE.jpg

Using the Barracudacast British seat.  Actually am NOT a fan of the wicker seat with the open middle in the back.  The short of it is despite amazing casting, the flash in the openings of the wicker are incredibly hard to clean up.  The solid seat is so much easier to use.  If you have a lot of time and patience, the other seat is terrific.  But I've spent over 30 minutes with a #3 blade (smaller than a #11) and still not been able to get the wicker openings cleaned up to satisfaction.  I'll see about writing a review complete with pictures.

gWxyZi.jpg

Added some of the rigging from the nose before adding the firewall and the engine/cowling.  EZline is used for all the rigging.

EH8ryH.jpg

W2to7K.jpg

And the Nieuport. Added the rigging from the inside after painting and decaling the fuselage.  LOTS of clean-up of seams - don't look at the bottom, just sayin'.  :o

s7yvBh.jpg

hmJ9fp.jpg

Landing gear is still a bit ****-eyed - but not sure how to fix it at the moment.

m7kuum.jpg

Still lots to do!  My target is a WWI display at Udvar Hazy in a few weeks, but I have a couple of weeks of business travel between now and then.

Chris

Those are both coming along very nicely Chris. Seeing the pic you posted of the tail of your Camel, you have exactly the right amount of holes in the tail surfaces, you have it rigged wrong. The control cable from the fuselage to the upper elevator control horn shouldn't be routed through the forward hole in the horizontal stabilizer. It should be a straight run from fuselage to control horn. There should also be an additional cable that runs from the elevator's upper control horn to the back hole in the elevator. The two outer holes on the horizontal stabilizers have flat rigging wires run to them from the vertical fin in front of the rudder.

I hope that all makes sense. You can always go to Wingnut Wings website, check out their Camel instructions, and see exactly how the rigging is supposed to look.

Great meeting you in Phoenix by the way.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf, I have so many different references that I'm not surprised I got confused.  I actually used the kit instructions lastly, and there you go.  Will go back and look at the WNW instructions (which I seem to be doing a lot lately).

Really nice to meet you in Phoenix as well!

Thanks for the tips!

Chris

Ok, thanks to Wolf for pointing out the correct rigging for the Camel tail end.  Downloaded the WNW instruction booklet so have a pretty clear idea what I need to do now.  Blast.  I don't know why the kit instructions were not accurate.  Lesson learned!

Stay tuned.  Maybe will get to it this weekend.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Got the tail re-rigged on the Camel - but still have a hole in the bottom of the rudder and in each elevator which I'm not sure what goes there.

paEMuP.jpg

Did get the double rigging on the front of the wings done.  The top wing is not far enough forward however.  Ugh.  Shows up on the fuselage struts.  Oh well.

Yb3Zck.jpg

And the Nieuport is mostly done.  A bit of touch up left but overall pretty much done. Top wing looks bowed to me.. Will have to look at that.

All Fine EZ Line rigging.

7wCstg.jpg

9tSneW.jpg

HLkpqM.jpg

OW4T6L.jpg

RHw9jZ.jpg

And a bit of a view of that gorgeous Barracudacast seat.

WZM942.jpg

I need to work on my props. Oh well!

Thanks for watching!

Chris