Revell Heinkel He-162 A-2 in 1/32 scale

Rato

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gang...

Like I said before, this project will go slowly... To give you an idea, I haven't had a chance to sit on my workbench for the last two weeks. Only this past weekend I could resume work on this project. So, do not expect quick updates (besides, I had to finish off two other Vietnam projects for a modeling convention in November). Anyway, I like to think that the worst part of this project is almost done now.

The bulges that I thermoformed before were glued to the ceiling of the landing gear bay, closing the oval apertures on top of part 13. Like I mentioned before, these are there to provide space for the wheels retract completely into the bay. Actually, the top of part 13 should be the visible structure on top of the fuselage. Anyway, the bulges were painted Aluminum and worked preety well (sorry for the messy glue marks):

he162_051.JPG

And talking about it, I finished the main deck plate by adding the bulges and reinforcement strips. The bulges were heat formed and the strips are litho plate riveted on the underside. There are one or two smaller details to be added later, but it is basically finished:

he162_064.JPG

As for the fuel tank, I spent some time duing the associated details. In particular, I scratchbuilt the main fuel line, fuel tank vent and the tank filler opening. I used a mix of clock parts, pieces turned on my lathe and some gizmology. Not much of it will be visible, so I didn't go overboard. Besides, there are bundles of electrical wires to go on top of it at the end. Still missing is the fuel pump and several hoses that I found in the photos of this area:

he162_059.JPG

he162_062.JPG

In case you are interested, I found some quite old railroad detail parts in brass, as well as some newer detail parts for 1/24 cars... I forgot them somewhere in the back of a drawer, but I found them quite useful, particularly to create some of the missing parts. More on that later...

he162_072.JPG

Moving to the tail, structural details were added to create illusion that the area is not empty when viewed from the bulkhead opening at the end of the fuselage:

he162_066.JPG

And here is another of the countless dry-fittings:

he162_067.JPG

Hang in there, folks. I'm not going to give up on this one... it is just a matter of (having) time. I need to finish a 1/32 project for mental sanity reasons. Oh, and BTW, I also started to work on Silverwings Flycatcher... I shouldn't, but couldn't resist...

See you

Rato Marczak
www.ratomodeling.com

Edited by Rato

• 1 month later...

Hang in there, guys!

sorry, I have to finish two dioramas for a modeling convention in mid-November under the Vienam theme...

Soon after that I will resume my work on th Salamander.

BTW, anybody here going to attend SMW at Telford in a couple of weeks?

Rato Marczak

www.ratomodeling.com