Tamiya 60325: F4U-1A Corsair

LSP_Kevin

1 minute ago, John1 said:

I’m hoping I can get by with Tamiya’s national markings 

They are just as crap as the rest of the OOB decals Ive been told...............

2 minutes ago, John1 said:

...................... they aren’t in the Fundekals set and I don’t feel like going with masks.  

I guess it depends on which Fundekals sheet you have. 

f4u32USMCa-decal.png

36 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

They are just as crap as the rest of the OOB decals Ive been told...............

I guess it depends on which Fundekals sheet you have. 

f4u32USMCa-decal.png

Good point.   If anyone has that first sheet and doesn’t plan on using the later version national insignias, please pm me.   I’ll be happy to buy them.   

6 minutes ago, John1 said:

Good point.   If anyone has that first sheet and doesn’t plan on using the later version national insignias, please pm me.   I’ll be happy to buy them.   

Hey John,

Which ones did you need?    I have the earlier Fundekals sheet, that contains the insignias. That Fundekals sheet does contain several version of the insignias, but  I'm planning on doing a later -1D so I will be using the ones with the darker blue outline:

f4u32USMCb-decal-S.png

It sounds like you may need the same ones, but if not, LMK and I can ship you any of the others you need. 

24 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Hey John,

Which ones did you need?    I have the earlier Fundekals sheet, that contains the insignias. That Fundekals sheet does contain several version of the insignias, but  I'm planning on doing a later -1D so I will be using the ones with the darker blue outline:

f4u32USMCb-decal-S.png

It sounds like you may need the same ones, but if not, LMK and I can ship you any of the others you need. 

Thank you for the generous offer. Unfortunately, those late version stars and bars are the same ones I’ll need.  Appreciate the offer though!  

11 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Tamiya for some unexplainable reason makes horrible decals, and being newer decals does not matter, they all suck. If you buy a Tamiya Corsair, plan on buying decals. The rest of the kit is beautiful.

7 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Totally untrue... Your just applying them incorrectly!

I've had no issues with Tamiya Decals, yes they are thicker than others... But if you apply them correctly they are fine.

5 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I've had no issues with Tamiya Decals, yes they are thicker than others... But if you apply them correctly they are fine.

Same here - nothing quick work with a hair dryer or MicroSol can't take care of. Once on they look as good as Catrograf-printed decals to me

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

Totally untrue... Your just applying them incorrectly!

So what’s the trick?

Yeah, I have to admit I have not used any Tamiya decals with their new tool LSPs, but I've been burnt with their thick stuff so much in the past, I haven't even tried honestly. 

I actually used some Solvaset on my last batch of Tamiya insignia's I used, and it really didn't do much to them at all. I was hesitant to try the hotter Mr Mark stuff,  feeling like if it was that hard to get them to settle, I would just move on to other decals that I know worked substantially easier. 

11 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Yeah, I have to admit I have not used any Tamiya decals with their new tool LSPs, but I've been burnt with their thick stuff so much in the past, I haven't even tried honestly. 

I actually used some Solvaset on my last batch of Tamiya insignia's I used, and it really didn't do much to them at all. I was hesitant to try the hotter Mr Mark stuff,  feeling like if it was that hard to get them to settle, I would just move on to other decals that I know worked substantially easier. 

I had read that Mr. Softner and Mr. Setter were formulated for the thicker style decals of Hasegawa and Tamiya. I, too, have been too chicken to try them out on a model, typically using aftermarket. Maybe I will have to throw them on a test mule someday. Of course, been going towards masks or dry transfers where possible.