Tamiya 60325: F4U-1A Corsair

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

Brian has just put together a review of Tamiya's F4U-1A kit for us:

Tamiya 60325: F4U-1A Corsair

2120-1.jpg

Thanks, Brian!

And thanks, too, to HobbyLink Japan for the review sample. The kit can be purchased from HLJ via the following link:

Tamiya 1/32 Vought F4U-1A Corsair

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

Good review, Brian!

I have to agree with Jennings on the tapes. I closely looked over a -1D at a museum, and both flaps and wings are nearly dead flush with just the slightest hint of the rib tapes. No stitching at all, or any other texture. 

Interesting point regarding the ailerons and other flying surfaces. If the framework on those was metal (and I think it was), there may have not been any stitching anyway, though I'm not really sure about that. As far as I know, the flaps themselves, were metal.

Yeah I agree on Tamiyas representation of the fabric detail on the wings. As mentioned, its not that bad, but about as good as any manu has done OOB, but still far from perfect.  I think the idea of sanding them down and replacing them with decals is a good one.

Probably not many even know what they actually look like on the 1:1.

18 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Are the decals with this kit as horrible as I fear?  Do they need to be replaced, or are they usable?

Also, are the canopy masks still NOT pre-cut? 

Thanks!

17 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

The decals are typical Tamiya,  thick.  The canofpeas masks are not pre-cut.

Ron

Yep Ron is right, the masks are the kind you have to cut our yourself. Not a big fan of those. Similar to the older style cut-out-yourself HGW seatbelts. The cut yourself masks and the vinyl tires are really the only letdowns in this kit maybe besides the decals, but Ive not used any modern tool Tamiya decals. 

I used three of the decals from the 1D kit, before I scrapped the idea and bought aftermarket and masks. Tamiya for some unexplainable reason makes horrible decals, and being newer decals does not matter, they all suck. If you buy a Tamiya Corsair, plan on buying decals. The rest of the kit is beautiful.

Edited by 1to1scale