F4U-1A LT. JAMES „BIG JIM“ STREIG, VF-17

Miloslav1956

Wow, very nice. The weathering looks great, the edges on the gun bays in particular. 

I've never seen blue surrounds on the Stars and Bars like that before, but I'm not expert on colored warbirds =D. 

Also, I don't know that I've ever seen a pic of an F4U-1A with the cowling not pinned down at the top. The actuators leaked oil, and the oil fouled the windscreen, so they were pinned down on most aircraft. Most people won't notice such a minor thing on such a beautiful model though.  VF-17 had quite the tour in Solomons, it's a shame they were not allowed to take their Corsairs to be part of the Bunker Hills Air Group since they had solved all the Corsairs carrier landing issues by working very closely with Vought. The Navy just didn't have enough parts in the supply line to support the Corsair in the Fleet, yet. Its time would come in 45. 

Hi Miloslav,

an excellent built again. I really like how you distinguish dark glossy sea blue vs. matt intermediate blue and white, not uniform semigloss surface.

11 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

...I've never seen blue surrounds on the Stars and Bars like that before, but I'm not expert on colored warbirds =D. 

Also, I don't know that I've ever seen a pic of an F4U-1A with the cowling not pinned down at the top. The actuators leaked oil, and the oil fouled the windscreen, so they were pinned down on most aircraft...

Hard to say whether surrounds on the Stars and Bars are still red or already repainted blue. According to the irregullar lines I would say that already blue:

jimstreig_bordered-jpg.393374

IMHO the cowling not pinned down at the top is not an error, it could be like that - the same type of the plane in the same unit:

fgXdWTe.jpg

regards,

66misos

13 hours ago, 66misos said:

Hi Miloslav,

an excellent built again. I really like how you distinguish dark glossy sea blue vs. matt intermediate blue and white, not uniform semigloss surface.

Hard to say whether surrounds on the Stars and Bars are still red or already repainted blue. According to the irregullar lines I would say that already blue:

jimstreig_bordered-jpg.393374

IMHO the cowling not pinned down at the top is not an error, it could be like that - the same type of the plane in the same unit:

fgXdWTe.jpg

regards,

66misos

Very interesting, I'd agree, its ok, now that I've seen that photo. My understanding, from reading several books, that the planes they took onto the ship, had all the mods, including the cowl being pinned down, and those planes traveled with them to the Solomons.  I wonder if they maybe picked it up as a replacement at Espirito Santo or even Hawaii to replace a damaged bird? Do you have any other pics of it? For the life of me, it's the only -1A with unpinned cowl can remember seeing. Now I'm going to have to go back and look at all the pics to see if I missed any!

I guess that goes to show you, there are no absolute rules in many aircraft configurations and most tanks!

To help ilustrate my confusion...

Early Corsairs, with pinned cowls. 

F4U-1_Corsair_82_of_VF-10_on_the_flight_

F4U_Corsairs_VMF-222_Russell_Islands_Sep

F4U_Corsairs_from_VMFN-532_USS_Windham_B

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks