Spitfire Vb SAAF Libya

Marcleon

Could I join this GB with an old kit, but reasonably accurate? The scheme will be 40 Sqdn SAAF doing Tactical Reconnaissance during Rommel's final retreat. This is the colour scheme I hope to do. The kit is the old Hasegawa kit with raised panel lines: There will be a few improvements but don't expect me to rescribe this kit... It would take far too much of my life! But I have some ideas on how to make it look OK...

Regards,

Marc

jjtpie.jpg2n8wlmp.jpg

I've never seen an exclusion based on the vintage of a kit or whether it's been superseded in quality by a newer release so I'd say you're ok. 

Erwin is building the equally old Revell Beaufighter on here as an example.

Carl

Thank You all for your very positive comments on this thread, looks like it's underway! Well, to the best on my ability... Just a photo to prove the project is started, the canopy will be closed so I won't waste too much time on the details that won't be seen, the reason for this is that the cockpit sills would need reconstruction if I left the canopy open, so I'll take another short cut...

2dv8zna.jpg

I have taken note of the comprehensive and excellent "Tweak" notes by Thierry, what a wonderful job he does!

2hq781k.jpg

And I have some decals from Zane of Mavdecals (just google him) - these are Alps printed on quite thin backing, so need to be cut out carefully and used with care, I may use Superfilm too... The orange colour is a little pixilated on my sheet, but I can carefully overpaint... this is after all what the SAAF groundcrew did to the Brit roundels anyway!

fwm5jk.jpg

Well, off to do some more work on this colourful Spitfire!

Regards,

Marc

Thank you Andre and Mike for your replies! And I continue to make some progress: I also found I had the Hataka paints for this aircraft, including the interior colour, so I will use these!

1z73ssw.jpg

I also got a bit further with the cockpit: I added a Barracuda Studios seat, lovely moulding and easy to install, almost ready for paint, the gunsight comes later! I also have some Eduard seat belts to add as they will be quite visible:

f9fivl.jpg

... And some work on the inside of the wing: Scraps of plasticard to fill the holes around the radiator (I won't bother to make it deeper, this is hardly visible) and around the oil cooler: Also walls around the wheel well parts for the struts and the big piece of plastic on the left wing is to repair the crack I made as I tried to forcibly bend out a warp in the plastic! But I think it's OK now....

1220ozb.jpg

Regards,

Marc

Hi Gaz! Thanks for the comment, yes it's good to just paint! Here the interior painted in the interior green, it seems a bit light to me but with a few washes will be just fine:

28ils13.jpg

Also some progress on smoothing out the lower wing, a bit of putty here!

ej7m11.jpg

Need to reach for the sandpaper! I will be on leave for a few weeks far from everything, so this thread will be on a short vacation too!

Enjoy your modelling!

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marc,

Surprise old man! After much urging from you I joined and on my first comprehensive brouse, I find this! Wow......

And to think that i can study, admire and crit your work everytime I am at your house

Actually its lookins so very good

Regards

Tony

1 hour ago, TonyD said:

Hi Marc,

Surprise old man! After much urging from you I joined and on my first comprehensive brouse, I find this! Wow......

And to think that i can study, admire and crit your work everytime I am at your house

Actually its lookins so very good

Regards

Tony

Welcome to the forums Tony! Its a grand place to be