BF 109 walkway markers?

Gazzas

Hi everyone,

I was just over at cybermodeller online looking at their walkarounds of the 109E's at Duxford, Munich, Oberschliessheim, and the Heritage museum.  I was curious about the walkway markings on 109's.   Only the Heritage Emil had the red walkway band on the wings.  The other three didn't.  And I have to say photographic evidence on period photos is pretty scarce.

What does everyone think of these?:

fhc_bf109e_03.jpg

Gaz

I think they look nice if you feel like adding them to your build, but not even having any such markings in my Luftwaffe references, I am skeptical that a typical war-production factory model would worry about such niceties.

6 hours ago, RBrown said:

The walkway marking were factory standard and painted initially in RLM 28 Weinrot and later in RLM 25 Rot.   Weathering, field repainting, and just poor photography are the likely factors in the marking not being readily identifiable in period photos.

Thanks for the excellent photos and info RB!:speak_cool:

Now the next question is how to best apply the red lines.:whistle:

10 hours ago, John1 said:

...Were they applied to later versions G-10 / K-4?

Like Mr. Brown said , they were a factory requirement.

The same exceptions he listed would still apply.

They're illustrated in the JaPo books but very difficult

to find pix of .  :coolio::shrug:

p.s. Most of the E production was a solid red line ,

starting with the F and subsequent were dotted.

Edited by MikeMaben

One thing I hate about them in decal form, is that there always seems to be a big raised rib. 

I've been toying with omitting them, or using my Silhouette Portrait to make a stencil.  But there is a laziness factor here.

Here is another question:  Did any of the desert F's or early G's leave the factory in desert scheme?  I know  lot of them have their panel lines filled and puttied...  but I don't know if this was done at the factory or not.

Gaz

If memory serves me correctly;

'Did any of the desert F's or early G's leave the factory in desert scheme?'

Yes.  Ready to go, except they had radio call numbers and letters, not field markings.

'I know  lot of them have their panel lines filled and puttied...  but I don't know if this was done at the factory or not.'

At the factory.

Sincerely,

Mark

This photo immediately popped into my head upon reading this topic.  I don't know, it doesn't seem to have the markings.

Was it common for Luftwaffe units to re-paint the wings?  I can see all that factory nice stuff getting wiped out with an in-field repaint quite easily.  We have certainly seen proof that the units painted and overpainted and repainted unit markings on the fuselages... 

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G6R3R6-1.JG50-White-