Need research help for P-51D project...

BiggTim

Hi guys,

Now that I finally picked up a Revell P-51D kit at Nats, I'm researching the plane I'd like to build, but I could use a little help. I want to depict the plane of a pilot named Major Donald A. Larson, 505th FS, 339th FG, KIA 4 August, 1944 in Germany. Major Larson was from my hometown, so I'd to make his plane. 

I'm able to find out that the last plane he flew, and was shot down in, was a P-51D (#44-13881), named "Mary Queen of Scotts", after Mary Scott, his girlfriend. His radio code was 6N-B. This picture is bit fuzzy, but this is the plane:

6n-b.jpg

And a plane with his radio code in formation with 3 others (oddly, the serial # does not match any of his known planes, so this may have been after his death):

744dcbd2716dad5f10e05c810ed967c4.jpg

Here is one of his earlier planes, probably a P-51B:

wpcb0d07a0_0f.jpg

What I need to know, is this: are there any masks or decals out there in 1/32 of other planes from his squadron that I might use as a starting point? I am unable to find anything. They would look like this:

p-51d-mustang-baby-mine-lt-stephen-c-ana

media-388211.jpg

Anyway, some of you Mustang fanatics will probably know more about this than I do, or so I hope. Thanks,

Tim

PS: Even some relevant markings in 1/48 that I could enlarge and trace over might help.

Edited by BiggTim

11 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Hey bub, I have those masks for my 357th FG P-51 project.........

Although the checks are different colors, I could cut you a set, as they look like they are about in the same place, and the paint masks I have for the checks are based on the Revell kit.

You're right, that would probably work well, and save me some time, thanks! I think the letters should be easy to cut by hand, the stripes are just tape masked, and the national insignia are readily available, so all I really need now is a way to do the name, and the serial number on the tail. 

I was not able to find out if he had any kill markings painted on the plane before he was shot down. It would have only had 5 kills at most, since he scored his sixth and final kill on his final mission. 

Ive got all the material on a big roll, and its generally pre-shrunk, so may be effected by environmentals if I cut it a large time ahead of when you actually use them, so I might suggest shooting me a PM or give me a call when you get semi-close to needing them.

OR

If you ever acquire a Silhouette cutter, I can shoot you the file any time. 

Tim:  If you contact the 339th maybe someone has more pictures of this aircraft for you?  http://www.339thfg.com/

I'm sure the guys with the Silhouette machines can do the masks for you.  I have a color inkjet photo printer if you want someone to have a go at the nose art let me know.

Chris

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

#44-13881 was a -5 so you're good with the kit OOB  :)

I know, that really worked out well, huh?

So here's quick and dirty sketch I did during lunch today of the nose art in the photo:

6n-b.jpg

3251_001.jpg

Obviously, it will need cleaning up in PS or some such program, but what do you guys think of my interpretation of it? 

Tim:  Looking good!  After enlarging your photo, one comment is that I think all of the letters in 'Scotts' are the same size.  Your 'o' and the last 's' are a little small or perhaps the letters gradually get a bit smaller from the first 'S' to the last 's'.  From what I can see anyway!  

Looking forward to seeing this build...

Chris