Revell Ju88A-4 TECHNIK

Rick K

It looks like fun and I hope it does well for them, then maybe Revell Germany can do a bit of new tooling and release a Ju 88 C-6 night fighter. I heard they were considering that a few years ago so hope it's still in the in tray.

Tony 

The electro-bits used with sci-fi kits I saw at the 2017 IPMS National were darn effective and sophisticated.   I enjoyed looking at the models while trying to figure out how the lighting schemes were implemented.  I would also enjoy one over the fire place when the room lights adjusted just right.  Spinning props with some interior and exterior lights seems fairly lame to me.

Rick

Yes, Revell.  Here are the instructions.

https://stage.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/00452_%23BAU_JUNKERS_JU88A4_TECHNIK_V01_01_LOW.PDF

I was curious how the cockpit light worked since the box photos just show a blinding glow from under the canopy.  It looks like you just stick the bulb under the rear of the upper fuselage above the radios.  Seems pretty gimmicky to me, plus it’s pretty expensive.

10 hours ago, Tony T said:

It looks like fun and I hope it does well for them, then maybe Revell Germany can do a bit of new tooling and release a Ju 88 C-6 night fighter. I heard they were considering that a few years ago so hope it's still in the in tray.

Tony 

I asked the Revell staff at the UK Nationals the year the Ju88 was released about C and G variants in the future. They were a little vague and lukewarm about possible future variants. Vague enough to make me confident to part with the ££ for the AIMS G when it came out. Strange, because they've done the hard work with the A tooling, and, as CMK and AIMS have shown, almost any subsequent variant can be produced or adapted from this starting point. However, with the current financial situation of RoG, perhaps a larger scale gamble ain't gonna happen just now?

And, of course, the conversion sets mentioned have presumably satisfied at least some of the potential market that may have existed for later variants?

The new tooling required for a C-6 would be minimal. Same engines as the A-4. They could even keep the old headache type instructions and just add a couple of new picture frames, new decals and use the same box artwork as their 1/72 C-6 evolved from the A-4 kit...

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=9354

The G is more involved. A different animal. 

At least it's possible to make a C-2 from the A-1 using some CMK, AIMS and Arsenal Aero clear parts. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
to add link

The C-6 is not a difficult conversion at all. The AIMS conversion from Pastor John is not difficult to do and he has also released a decal sheet covering a couple of C-6 fighters.

We all have a limited time to build. I have about hopefully 15 years of building left. I have made a decision in my modeling to do the aircraft I want to do even if it involves a bit of scratch building or a conversion parts rather than wait and hope for the subject to be released by mainstream manufacturers, who seem to be on a Spitfire/Mustang roll. For those who missed my build, here is an example of a relatively easy conversion.

IMG_4535.jpg

Nick

Great model Nick. 

Am planning on a double build of an A-4 mit bomben and a C-2 and can cast aside my pacifist "no bombs, no camouflage" rule on the basis that these are pure nostalgia - except 1/32 Revell instead of the 1/72 Frog and Airfix kits built as a ten year old fifty years ago. The nachtjager, almost aquatic looking, finishes don't count either. 

And back to the genteel modelling I knew, in the sense of no anal attention to accuracy; that colour looks about right; parts pretty much OOB (but carefully cut and prepared rather than broken from the sprues); can't be bothered with that nonsense; and flat brush work with a smidgen of airbrushing. And no rusty anything. But cutting and replacing the right windshield pane on the C-2 might induce a temporary stall. 

Have overcome the trauma barrier by beachcombing for interesting bits of stone, and gardening with a saw - yes a zizzy-zizzy elbow-powered saw. Branch-cutting hedgetrimmer next, now that everything's reduced to 1cm snipping size. 

That's what I like about the Revell kits. They're unpretentious and the modern ones can produce excellent models. I'm too scared to build a Tamiya right now!

Tony

21 hours ago, Tony T said:

The new tooling required for a C-6 would be minimal. Same engines as the A-4. They could even keep the old headache type instructions and just add a couple of new picture frames, new decals and use the same box artwork as their 1/72 C-6 evolved from the A-4 kit...

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=9354

The G is more involved. A different animal. 

At least it's possible to make a C-2 from the A-1 using some CMK, AIMS and Arsenal Aero clear parts. 

Tony 

Tony. Absolutely right about the C and G.  You would have thought that a C was a no-brainer for Revell. And Revell did a similar minimal change with their He219 recently; just a revised canopy and radar plus decals.  Lets also remember that Dragon produced almost all Ju88 variants in 48th from common sprues, starting with the G if I remember correctly.

I must admit I was surprised at the time with my conversation with their staff about their hesitation over future versions. Perhaps sales since the launch of the A-1 haven't been up to anticipated levels? I can say here with some confidence that I've done my bit for their sales - I have 2 A-1s and an A-4.  Plus conversion parts for a G and S/T. Great kit.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:19 PM, EvilCarrot said:

Came out months ago in Europe. Lot of money for those extra electro bits... :mental:

Indeed. The regular kit can be bought for about 50 Euros at conventions.

Much to expencive for just the electro added.