Does the plastic kits are made from age?

BradG

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

What about painted rubber?

Knowing how rubber car tires "dry rot", I would take some nice digital pictures and store them in more then one media/device (I use both storage cards and a website) and don't worry about it looking the same 100 years from now.;)

Well...  Everything ages.  I remember a post a couple years ago on a ship site where the problem was about lead going bad.  How many of you guys use white metal?

Anyway...plastic.  It's relatively stable, but I have seen kits that definitely had inferior plastic.  If it wasn't exposed to UV light, I'd put it on the plastic used.

Gaz

10 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I would say the factors and determining variables are pretty high. But at Jennings said, I think UV Light is probably the biggest killer of plastic besides outright crushing it. The way its breaking down sounds like it may have been bad or contaminated from the jump.

What was the kit brand/age/storage conditions?

It was a Hasegawa kit, stored for the last 12 years in my wardrobe. 

Guest Clunkmeister

Well, then the solution is simple.

Just make our kits out of the same type of plastic they use for soda straws, grocery bags,  and drink cups. 

They tell us that stuff lasts for bloody ever!

On a more serious note,  yes my older completed models (30 years)  are extremely brittle.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Good point Clunk. Maybe we should just scoop up all that plastic from the middle of the Pacific and recycle it into kits. Couldn't be worse than some of the stuff some of the manufacturers use.

Building a forty year old Hasegawa F-4E hard wing as a blast from the past. Pretty much the way I remember it from 1978, warts and all.

This got me thinking about items at home that are more than forty years old. The silver, stoneware and other ceramics are still excellent. The seventy year old aluminium garlic press still works fine. Some of the old books have yellowed a tad, particularly the stuff printed on crappy paper. The wooden stuff is in good shape, as is the scarf I wore at college. But I don't have anything else as old as the aforementioned Hasegawa Phantom in plastic as the ex wife took custody of all my 12 ins vinyl. 

Think I might take up working in pewter 

Tony 

On 8/8/2018 at 10:40 PM, Tony T said:

What, you mean they never get broken when you play with them?

Tony 

Yeah, best to keep a carefree attitude. Besides, it might be smarter to just toss the oldest kits in the bin because ; 1. it is expensive to make room for them all, 2. building is the fulfilling part.