Sign in to follow this  
BiggTim

Interested in a meet-up at Seattle show in April 2019?

8 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Just a reminder bump on this, Seattle show coming up in April, and I'm planning to be there if anyone wants to meet up.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've added it to my calendar, and I'll inquire with the Government (My lovely wife) if she'd be interested in visiting Seattle. 

Just a bump on this again, and I know they are in serious need of judges, no experience necessary. I've never done it before, but I offered to give it a shot this time to help out, even though I'm 2.5 hrs drive away in good weather.

Tim

Judging is a great way to learn. Taking a critical look at models with other eyes you really learn how to spot ways to help avoid errors. It never fails to amaze me how a good looking model, when really gone over closely can show some defects. I do prefer the scoring system(like AMPS) vs. the 1 - 2 - 3 method, but that takes a lot of work, prep, and a lot more judges. I had hoped to make Seattle this year, but will be in AZ with my daughter.

Man, wish this show was closer to me....would love to see the Seattle area. 

Could get a few drinks while we were there too!

With the upcoming nuptials this year, I cant afford the time off but it's on my to do for sure. 

So I went to the Seattle show yesterday, and it was pretty well attended. Lots of vendors, including the guys from Barracuda studios (from whom I had to purchase a few goodies), and I got to try my hand at judging for the first time. Of all the categories to be assigned to judge, my team got the 1/32 aircraft. There were some very nice entries, so it was very tough to choose the winners. I feel for those who do it a lot.

The only category I entered was the scratch built aircraft, and to my surprise, my Fokker DVII skeleton took first place! Granted, the competition in that category was not stiff, but it was nice to get it anyway. I think folks appreciate seeing something a little different. 

Oh, and I didnt buy any kits!

Tim

I missed you! I was only there for a couple of hours, however. Do you remember what aircraft placed?I took some pics. I totally missed your build; I didn't see the scratchbuild category! :(

I also don't see any pictures.  I forgot all about it but spent the day

messing with my puked (BSOD) computer and finishing my taxes anyway.

Just a fun day for me all around !!

F6Aqzxi.jpg?1

Pictures !   we need pictures !!

I apologize, but I'm not much for taking pictures. I know the Seattle IPMS guys took tons to post on their website, so I'll send a link when they are posted.

Bummer that I missed you, Ray! I even wore my LSP Phoenix shirt in case someone spotted me, but no one did. In the 1/32 prop category, the top three were: 1st:TBM Avenger RCAF (also got best Canadian subject), 2nd:Me-109E, 3rd-P-51D Mustang, if I recall correctly. Honorable mentions went to the 190D-9, the Do-335, and the Raiden. 

Tim

Ok, I got pics off all those, should post later today. Is the 109E the -1 made from paper? I had to do a double-take on that one, it looked good.

The paper one was VERY cool, but no, the one that placed was the Eduard E-4 kit, I think. That paper 109E, and the paper WWI biplane in 1/32, whose type I can't recall, made me really want to try one of those paper kits.