Revell Bf 109 G-10 Erla

Pastor John

I am terrible - every time I want to make a kit I stop and think about a new AIMS product - the result being I never get to just enjoy building what I have and what others have designed so out came the Revell 1/32 Bf 109 G-10 Erla. I had already bought a ton of stuff for this kit but I am not doing the cowling issue, once it is made and painted as well as I can paint it I doubt I will ever give it a second thought and I had already paid a lot for other products. I have spent last few days painting the Aires cockpit set. It was nice to get the airbrush going again. Everything primed with the fantastic Gravity Surface primer followed by Mr P RLM 66 followed by whatever I had followed by the most flat varnish ever by Vallejo! Have no idea if all my wire colours are correct and I do not really care. Missing from the Aires set are two of the smaller levers for the throttle quadrant and the main lever was broken. also no oxygen tube was on the right wall?! so I added one from electrical wire sleeve. I guess it should not be olive drab - that is a modern part I have seen in the internet photos and forgot to stop and think. Feel free to chip in

IMGP5548.jpg
Edited by Pastor John

Having problems! No not those sort of problems..........fuselage all together including upper engine cowl part - all plastic joins fit together and there are no gaps or signs that the Aires resin tub is forcing out the shape of the plastic cockpit area - indeed one of the reasons I was using the Aires cockpit was because I read in a build article that there was no alterations needed and I just wanted an easy build to just enjoy painting - well I dry fitted the windshield and main canopy section onto the model only to find the whole cockpit is 1mm wider than the clear parts!!!!!!! I just cannot see how that is possible when the kit joins at top and bottom and the separate upper engine cowl part meets everywhere where it should??????? I take a photo tomorrow. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed problem - the instrument panel fitted into the Aires locating points is enough to spread the cockpit out - not too much were upper engine cowl part is glued to the fuselage halves but by the time the problem spreads to end of windshield it is 0.5mm each side. I carefully removed the instrument panel, snipped away the side wall lugs and a fraction of the side of the panel and re-attached it this time to the inside of the windshield part. With a little pressure downward on the kit the assembly plops back in with much much less pressure needed sideways to join cockpit sill to windshield. Phew!

IMGP5565.jpg

Hi Pastor John,  Sorry to hear about your fit issues. i hope I can help with some suggestions if you dont mind..... So, just to confirm, are you saying that you have already glued the two fuselage halfs together along with the top cowl section? 

I find it usefull to take all the kit cockpit parts off the sprues and dry fit them together into the fuselage using poster tak and tamiya tape . This gives me a sense of how things go together and also serves as a guide to help fit the resin parts and find their exact placement. You can also directly compare the resin cockpit parts  to the kit parts to see if there are any isues with size or shape differences.

I also have the Aires cockpit set for this kit and while i didn't experience the issues you've described, I did find that the cockpit tub  was undersize and to narrow to fit into the fuselage at the rear where the horizontal shelf meets the top of the fuselage sill. The only soluton I can come up with  is to put plastic shims on either side to help make contact and keep it in place. Having said that I wonder if perhaps you have set your cockpit tub a little to far forward in the fuselage which may be causing  the to fuselage halfs to be  slightly to wide apart and thus making your windshield  to narrow to fit . I hope that makes sense !

I love the details in Aires resin sets but they do have a reputation for challenging fit issues that's for sure.  Barracuda resin do some  nice cocpit replacement parts for the Revel 109's if you interested in that route. 

I hope I've been of some help.

Cheers Pete.

Edited by PeterOlsen