Question about Tamiya cement

I used to use Ambroid Pro Weld, and was always very happy with it, but apparently it's no longer available. I picked up a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin, but it doesn't seem to have a very strong bond on the test pieces I tried it on, and isn't very solvent-y. What is the best solvent cement available in the US? Thanks!

Ever since Tenax has become unobtainium, i've been using MEK, easily supplied from most any hardware store.

DgT3mF.jpg

Large 32 oz tin on left was $15.99, small 1oz bottle of typical Tenax/Squadron/whatever was $5.99....Stuff works EXACTLY like tenax at a fraction of the cost, even evaporates like Tenax if you forget to cap it. I bought two tins of the MEK, think it will be the last solvent cement i'll buy, if it doesn't evaporate first.

Don

Guest Maxim

Just be careful with MEK. It's highly carcinogenic. Do not get it on your skin and do not breath the vapors. It's probably the worst chemical you can have in your modelling cabinet. We use to use it to wash down Ejection seats in the overhaul shop until the USN banned it. Many people were getting ill using it and some contracted dermatitis from the exposure.

16 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

I've not used Tenax or MEK; just how solventy are they? I don't want to melt my kits so what precautions are there?

Works like Pro weld. Very thin, capillary action and use sparingly. A little goes a very long way.

Don

12 minutes ago, Maxim said:

Just be careful with MEK. It's highly carcinogenic. Do not get it on your skin and do not breath the vapors. It's probably the worst chemical you can have in your modelling cabinet. We use to use it to wash down Ejection seats in the overhaul shop until the USN banned it. Many people were getting ill using it and some contracted dermatitis from the exposure.

Yes!! Be careful!! Don't know the complete facts about MEK, but I use in very small amounts. I get exposed to a LOT of chemicals/lubricants/cleaners at my job, careful to wear appropriate protection when needed/specified. Should look into MEK MSDS, etc.

Don

Ugh. I've been in the office machine business for decades. We used to have a solvent-based cleaner with MEK that we used to bathe IBM Selectric typewriters in to remove old dirt and grease. One of the guys in an old shop we bought out had been doing it for 35 years before I got there with no protection whatsoever - even spraying the stuff in a booth. His fingertips were... gone. The nails were gone and he had no fingerprints. Deep cracks in the flesh of his fingers that just bled all the time. He also smoked like a freight train.

He retired when his liver failed, shortly after I got there. I can't imagine how many types of cancer he might have had.

If you are considering using a chemical with which you are unfamiliar I suggest you viait your local fire station and ask to see their hazardouis materials handbook. Look up the chemical and you will get a good idea of what precautions and protections you should use when dealing with that material.

You may be surprised. 

When I was into flying models back around the Korean War era we would wrap rags around part of the wings and soak them in titaniuim tetrachloride. "Tillie" as we called it emits lots of white vapor when exposed to air. Makes great smoke trails when stunting the models. We were literally washing our hands in the stuff.

I once looked the stuff up  at the fire department and found that  the warning to firemen who may discover some when entering a building was to immedeiately evacuate the area and call for the Hazmat truck. Only that crew fully protected in their special suits (totall enclosure) could deal with it.  Yes, we were playing with the stuff bare handed. 

MEK, like a lot of chemicals, is dangerous. 

MEK Peroxide is a hardner for liquid polyester resin (for making fiberglass stiff). I learned right away to be careful with it since the odor made me instantly nauseus. 

:blowup: