2018 Phoenix Nat Pictures

CANicoll

14 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

As a matter of interest, did HKM attend?

No, Glen and KHM were not there. There were a LOT of vendors I wanted to check out that wernt there: KHM, Tamiya, KHM, and a slew of others Im missing. The social aspect of Phoenix was really grand, but the vendors, overall models (LSPs however as a group did make a great showing) and organization of the event left a lot to be desired. 

A near 3 hour wait just to get registered, with a line that was about 500ft + long most all of the day was a bit much.  I also thought that for a Nationals event handing out challenge coins for overall trophies was a bit of a cheap-out, but that was very secondary. 

Would have thought the Nats would be their US showcase event, very strange. Or perhaps they believe they have enough presence through the internet. Personally I’d rather see a product in person before buying........

I think that’s where Telford differs, three halls of vendors.....

Edited by Bomber_County

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

No, Glen and KHM were not there. There were a LOT of vendors I wanted to check out that wernt there: KHM, Tamiya, KHM, and a slew of others Im missing. The social aspect of Phoenix was really grand, but the vendors, overall models (LSPs however as a group did make a great showing) and organization of the event left a lot to be desired. 

A near 3 hour wait just to get registered, with a line that was about 500ft + long most all of the day was a bit much.  I also thought that for a Nationals event handing out challenge coins for overall trophies was a bit of a cheap-out, but that was very secondary.

Challenge coins? That is pretty lame. One of the principal reasons that I like to compete out of town, is that if I'm fortunate enough to win something, the awards inevitably look different than the same old tired awards that have been handed out locally for the last 20 years.

2 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Challenge coins? That is pretty lame. One of the principal reasons that I like to compete out of town, is that if I'm fortunate enough to win something, the awards inevitably look different than the same old tired awards that have been handed out locally for the last 20 years.

Agreed K2. I like the fact that my club does indeed hand out different plaques/trophies every year, and make them especially nice for the NATs. That is in fact at least partially due to the extra money in our coffers going for such things like trophies. 

12 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Agreed K2. I like the fact that my club does indeed hand out different plaques/trophies every year, and make them especially nice for the NATs. That is in fact at least partially due to the extra money in our coffers going for such things like trophies. 

Shortly after I moved in here, I threw out about 20 awards, as each and every one was the exact same thing. I kept the more unusual ones though, as well as the FSM award, for possible future display here.

Guest Clunkmeister
29 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Shortly after I moved in here, I threw out about 20 awards, as each and every one was the exact same thing. I kept the more unusual ones though, as well as the FSM award, for possible future display here.

Of all the things I’ve received, there are three that stick out. One is the beautiful acrylic from Brian’s Club’s Nats last year, an acrylic from Marauderdriver’s Club’s show, and the Eaglequest “Eagle” statue award I received this spring. 

Different and unique stuff

Actually, I was a little surprised by the "Challenge Coins" awards, if that's what they're called, because at the 2010 Nationals in Phoenix they awarded beautiful laser etched wood plaques. In the end though, the Challenge Coins (I've seriously never heard that term before) was all I was going to get in to my suitcase after jamming in my 1/32 ZM Horton 229, Dornier Do-335, and Special Hobby Yak-3 kits. Thank goodness those ZM kits are packed in very sturdy boxes! All three kits made it home safe and sound but the Yak-3 box looks a little worse for wear.

Cheers,

Wolf

1 hour ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Show off!!......Harv

1 minute ago, LSP_Ron said:

They handed out Challenge coins? I've never even heard of them before. Had to google that. 

They are very nice, with raised and painted details, but they are generally regarded as side bars, and not actual "trophies" per-se.  Ive just not seen them used as actual 1st, 2nd and 3rd trophies for each class.   Bit of a cheap-out if you ask me, but then again, that was pretty much the last thing I was thinking about as far as things to fix/improve. 

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm confused. Didn't he ask about HKM (Hong Kong Models), not KHM (KittyHawk Models)? You guys need to get your acronyms straight for dummies like me.

I had to start with this one even though it's not 1/32.  I haven't seen any mention of it because I think he got there pretty late on Friday but yes, the Millenium Falcon would hover above the base as Han Solo gave his famous "You haven't heard of the Millenium Falcon?" speech.  Apparently using Rare Earth magnets in the model and the base?  Everyone around there was dumbfounded.

Bob @ Victory Models

IMG_1729_zpsbriv3wro.jpgIMG_1728_zps5lajlvqh.jpg