Revell Spitfire Vb - Finished!

BloorwestSiR

I did a test fit of the wings and noticed that I must have sanded the rear joint a bit too much.

IMG_20180810_211250-L.jpg

I used some styrene to shim it and sanded it smooth.

IMG_20180811_020424-L.jpg

Other than that, the fit was great. It was as good as the Tamiya Spitfires I feel. Just as much clamping too

IMG_20180810_220450-L.jpg

Besides the lower joint, it needed a quick smear of putty at the upper wing roots.  After that, I got the paint out and applied a first coat.

IMG_20180811_021308-L.jpg

So a decent amount of progress tonight.

Carl

15 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Excellent progress Carl,  nice work on the wings.

Regards.Andy

Thanks Andy!

7 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very interesting conversion! I am following with interest! And an interesting color scheme also!

Alain

Thanks Alain! This will be the first desert scheme Spitfire for me which is Middle Stone and Dark Earth over Azure Blue.

6 hours ago, dora9 said:

Nice job so far! Do you have the Aboukir filter or the Vokes for the carb intake?

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Dora! I don't have either unfortunately so I'm just going to have to leave it off. It looks like I'll be doing IR-G which should have the Aboukir filter. I found out too late that Grey Matter Figures make one. 

3 minutes ago, Marcleon said:

Great progress, Carl! And really great thinking on how to make this kit into a Vb! I'm enjoying your thread and learning at the same time...

Regards,

Marc

Thanks Marc! It's been a very straightforward conversion up to now. But it couldn't last as you'll see below. 

One of the reasons I didn't start with the Hobbyboss Spitfire kit is that it has an incorrect external armoured glass windscreen. The Vb has an internal one. HpH make a correction set with the windscreen but it's hard to find so I'm not sure if it's still in production.

Well, ironically the Revell kit also has an external armoured windscreen so I had to decide if I was going to leave it alone or try to find a solution. Digging through my spares bin, I found a Tamiya windscreen and one for the PCM IX kit. Here they are compared to the Revell one.

IMG_20180811_200926-L.jpg

Test fitting them got the following results. 

Revell - a good fit as to be expected.

IMG_20180811_201109-L.jpg

PCM - a fairly large gap under the sides 

IMG_20180811_201126-L.jpg

Tamiya- contours match the cowl and a smaller gap around the sides. 

IMG_20180811_201142-L.jpg

I settled on using the Tamiya one as it also had better clarity than the PCM one. 

The first step was to trim the fuselage slightly on either side of the opening. The Tamiya windscreen is slightly longer.

IMG_20180811_201713-L.jpg

Then, I filled the gap using strip styrene. 

IMG_20180811_205308-L.jpg

I then sanded it to shape.

IMG_20180811_210926-L.jpg

IMG_20180811_210934-L.jpg

With the windscreen installed. 

IMG_20180812_102948-L.jpg

I needed a set of clipped wingtips so I used the ones from the Tamiya kit. These were a fairly straightforward fitment.

IMG_20180812_103035-L.jpg

Lastly, I  ended up fitting a set of exhaust pipes from a Fly Hurricane to the kit. 

IMG_20180812_103215-L.jpg

Quite the parts bin build. 

Carl

Carl, that is some great model-engineering! Yes, that Tamiya windscreen is the best and now fits beautifully! The wingtips do come in two styles - the factory ones more rounded and with lights in the front, and the local ones more tapered with a sharper edge and no lights - just look at pictures to make sure which was fitted! I do like the exhausts - a great, neat addition... the heat intensifier tubes running through them to heat the guns seem to be a rare addition in the desert....

Regards,

Marc

On 8/12/2018 at 3:08 PM, Marcleon said:

Carl, that is some great model-engineering! Yes, that Tamiya windscreen is the best and now fits beautifully! The wingtips do come in two styles - the factory ones more rounded and with lights in the front, and the local ones more tapered with a sharper edge and no lights - just look at pictures to make sure which was fitted! I do like the exhausts - a great, neat addition... the heat intensifier tubes running through them to heat the guns seem to be a rare addition in the desert....

Regards,

Marc

Thanks for the info on the wingtips. I don't have any pics of the plane so I'll just stick with he rounded ones. Although the square ones would have been easier. 

On 8/12/2018 at 5:13 PM, Gazzas said:

That was a great fix for the windscreen.   I'm a bit amazed by the disparity between the three windscreens.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! The Revell one should be different as it's the external armoured version. The PCM and Tamiya ones should be the same. The PCM one isn't bad but the Tamiya one is definitely the better of the two.

11 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Nice fix on the windscreen, I was lucky enough to find the HPH fix for my Hobbyboss kit and it worked a treat.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis! I debated getting the Hobbyboss kit but was concerned about obtaining the correction set. Plus I had the Revell one in the stash already.