HPH Models 1/32 P-51H Mustang (group buy possible)

AresShrike

Hello,

After much unabashed begging, HPH models let me know that they will do a 1/32 P-51H Mustang!!

If, and only if, they get 8,000 euros for a "comprehensive development model" and 125 euros for each model.

That's $9,261.40 for the "comprehensive development model" and $144.71 for each model afterwards.

Now, that sounds like a lot, but, that's just 45 people, paying $200 a each, for the "development model", 

and then the 1/32 P-51H Mustangs becomes available, for $144.71 each model.

I guess, if 45 people commit to this, they could then send their funds to HPH models, and get this going.

Heck, I could fill in several of those 45 spots, 'cause I'd LOVE to see that happen, ESPECIALLY from such an awesome manufacturer like HPH models.

Anybody...…….Anybody...…..

Edited by AresShrike

I think the smart move at this juncture would be to contact Glen Coleman at Kitty Hawk and ask him if they're still considering an injection-moulded P-51H in 1/32 scale. He's announced plans for such in the past, but it was some time ago. Better to clarify what's happening there before launching a risky venture like this one.

Kev

Kevin - GREAT idea, I'll do that ASAP. (message sent to his facebook site)

Rick, no offense taken, whatsoever. I'd LOVE a (really good) P-51B/C in 1/32nd too, but, that's much more likely to be done "soon", than the P-51H, and I love he "H" too!

As to the investor-profit thing, that'd be seeing my investment turn into the model that I really want, or probably never seeing it. A small investment, for a big return, to me anyway.

Edited by AresShrike

I’m not sure how this could work.  It sounds like 45 people would have to put up $200 each to subsidize a $145 kit for everyone else, and still have to pay the $145 on top for the kit?  Or does putting up the $200 also get you a kit?

To be honest, I don’t think you’ll find 45 people willing to put up $200 for a P-51H here, even if it included the kit.  While a few people are interested, I don’t think overall there is much call for the P-51H.  Although a hot rod, it wasn’t used in combat either in WW2 or in Korea, and mostly just flew around the US peacetime skies.  A bit boring to a lot of people.

To be honest, I don't think it'll happen either, but, I would have no problem putting up $200 to have the R&D done on a 1/32 P-51H, if it meant I'd actually be able to buy some super high quality P-51H Mustang kits.

No, the $200 doesn't buy you a kit. But it's a lot better than paying $9,000 and maybe getting that one R&D pre-production sample.

If more people want it, the R&D price for each person obviously goes down.

I agree, "I don’t think overall there is much call for the P-51H", but I'd sure love to get some!

I guess maybe you've got to be a real Mustang nut, like me, to be "into" it, but, I do hope to see one, (a really great one would be nice) in 1/32nd one day, and it'll probably take an effort like this to make it happen.

Thanks so very much Kevin, I just sent him a message.

I really do hope this works out, as it seems like a really good deal to me, but, I guess you've got to be a certified Mustang fanatic, to think it's "worth it".

Oh well, maybe 45 people will see it like I do, or, maybe, somebody else could do it for a bit less, but I really like the quality of the HPH kits.

5 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

No offense intended Sir,  I would rather have a P-51B/C.  And I would want a production kit.  As an investor I would want a % of the profit from each sale.

Rick

My thoughts, too. P-51H is kind of an asterisk in the history of the Mustang. Didn't really go anywhere other than reserve units.

A good P-51B/C would be great! For esoteric Mustangs, I would rather see a twin Mustang in 1/32 as it was used in Korea, especially the night fighter version.

I understand how some would like to fill in a piece of Mustang history, but I don't know how well it would sell, vs a P-51B/C.

Guest Maxim

Same here, very little interest in the P-51H and lot of people have no interest in the aircraft as the B and the D seen the most service. It's like the F4U-1  compared to the -7 corsair.

I had similar thoughts about attempting to underwrite and initiate a multi-media 1/32 J.35 Draken and/or Su-15TM Flagon. 

It's likely somebody, somewhere will finally see sense and start producing 1/32 IM SAAB jets, especially the Draken, but probably not in my lifetime.

HpH may be the only way to get a great Flagon, but cf the P-51H it would probably require €10k on the nail and a box price of €350, which turns it into a pure fantasy.

I started a vacform Su-15 Flagon, realised there was nothing available of real use off-the-shelf so I've put it on hold until such a time - my use-by date permitting - that Fly issue their 1/32 Su-7 Fitter, a spare of which can be bought to make the vacform more doable re seat, cockpit tub, legs and so forth. I.e. being able to modify readily available existing parts brings these projects within reach.

So, I don't know the differences between a D and H Mustang but I would have thought a conversion set would be more cost effective. 

Tony 

Yea, the only thing with doing the same thing with the P-51B/C (trying to get someone to do a Good one), is that there's always a "good" chance, that some big company (Tamiya!!??) will bring one out, right after they get most of the R&D project done, just like Jerry Rutman's gorgeous P-51D, that was coming along so beautifully. (now, with the "H", there's little chance of that)

But, yes, I'd LOVE to see a really GOOD P-51B/C in 1/32nd come out, that top's my "list".

As for that D to H conversion, it's really too different, in my opinion, totally new plane really, VERY hard to do a good job on that.

Probably "upscaling" a 1/48 H model, in a 3D printer would be an easier, cheaper (though less excellent) alternative.

That makes me think, maybe, with the right amount of begging, groveling, and bribing, maybe Jerry could do another short run of that, beyond excellent, resin P-51B/C Mustang that he made.

I think I'll try that.

Jerry, do you think you might, find it in your heart, to do another short run of that gorgeous P-51B for us?? (or Me, at least)

Edited by AresShrike

There's a lot of major differences between the various marks of Kawasaki Ki-61/-100 fighters but Alleycat did a great job with those...

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/alleycat-aircraft-sets-132-scale-325-c.asp

I was thinking along those lines, with new fuselage halves and canopy etc for about £38 

Tony

Edited by Tony T
Usual touch & go to render a link active

I'd go for an "H" , trying to bring out a  complete line of Mustangs from the Allison engined ones to the very last that was produced.

It's such an iconic aircraft, it just deserves this attention in scale.

And, going from the "H" model, it would be a fairly easy job to jump over to the Twin Mustang.

Just my two pennies......

I had a similar answer when I asked HpH about doing a Do.17z or a Ju.52 a few years back.

The whole idea is pretty much cost prohibitive ... Those are some fairly large sums we're talking about!

A couple of years later HK Models announced that they were working on a Ju.52 in IM - later we saw some CAD ... Just how far that goes, we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe now that Revell are back in their own game we might even see the Do.17z at some point.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69