HPH Models 1/32 P-51H Mustang (group buy possible)

AresShrike

1 hour ago, GrahamF said:

I wonder if a 'scratch aid' is the way to go? To CNC a fuselage and wings would be easy for us to do but would leave everything else to the modeller. Any Takers?

There is a company that do this for large scale garden railways where they just supply the bare bones brass etchings for a locomotive  but don't go the whole hog.

I've always liked the idea of this.

Graham

I like this idea; even more so if a canopy is included! Seriously though, many of the detail parts (I know the wheels are smaller) could come from a donor kit. Plenty of those about (at least in my cupboard :)) . Great idea!

HPH "called the bluff". They simply said "put your money where your mouth is."

Manufacturers get bombarded with demands for unsaleable kits whose only "feature" is that "it was never kitted before". Maybe there is a reason why such kits were never issued before. :rolleyes:
Kits need to sell in order to amortise costs. Get enough people to pay upfront, not just say that would pay later, and they will make it. Sounds OK to me. :)

Radu 

There was no "Bluff" involved.

You do realize, that they advertise on their own website, that they build custom kits.

I believe they put that in there, to attract people to ask about the cost of - custom kits.

I'm quite sure, they were'nt thinking - Let's "call this guys bluff", or "put your money where your mouth is", but simply answered my question, about cost.

7 hours ago, AresShrike said:

There was no "Bluff" involved.

You do realize, that they advertise on their own website, that they build custom kits.

I believe they put that in there, to attract people to ask about the cost of - custom kits.

I'm quite sure, they were'nt thinking - Let's "call this guys bluff", or "put your money where your mouth is", but simply answered my question, about cost.

This is the purest example of "calling the bluff". Some people do not understand that there is actually an expense involved with creating a model. Some people are so detached from reality that they imagine that models appear fully formed out of nothing just like Pallas Athena emerged in full armour out of Zeus' head. Yes, HpH will do custom models, but you pay for that. HpH is a business, not some kind of "make a wish foundation." Costs must be amortised by sales. Not enough sales means a loss. So, they called the bluff: you pay and we will make it. There is no point in going after me. Pay HpH. 

Radu

On 8/3/2018 at 8:27 PM, AresShrike said:

Now, that sounds like a lot, but, that's just 45 people, paying $200 a each, for the "development model", 

and then the 1/32 P-51H Mustangs becomes available, for $144.71 each model.

Some faulty arithmatic going on there. By your example, there would be 45 people paying $350.52 for each kit ($9,261.40 ÷ 45 buyers + $144.71 per kit).

Seems highly unlikely that there are 45 people interested in actually shelling out the cash for a $150 P-51H kit, let alone a $350 P-51H kit. 

But, hey: Anything could happen... :mellow: 

There also seems to be some semantics issues going on: A kit is a bunch of parts in a box. A model is a completed display piece. They are NOT interchangeable terms when big money is involved. 

D

Radub - I wasn't "going after you", I was just pointing out that there was no "bluff", just a serious inquiry sent to a manufacturer about the cost of doing a kit.

(excellent point Vince14 and D Bellis about Kits vs Models, I didn't really think about that when I contacted them)

I quite sure, everyone here knows that the research and development of a kit, or model, requires a lot of time and money, and naturally, a manufacturer has to believe the kit will make them money, or they won't bring it to market, we're all well aware of that.

I fully realize, Radub, that you meant to be helpful, as your input here has been invaluable to us all, for a long time, and we're all quite appreciative.

Edited by AresShrike

6 hours ago, AresShrike said:

Radub - I wasn't "going after you", I was just pointing out that there was no "bluff", just a serious inquiry sent to a manufacturer about the cost of doing a kit.

Let me tell you what I mean by "bluff". Have you noticed that there is one guy who always mentions Val and Kate? Have you noticed that there is one guy who always mentions Do 17? One guy asking for one model one thousand times is not the same as one thousand guys asking for one model one time. 
Many people go on forums asking for models and then vanish when it comes to paying for those models leaving the manufacturer in a lurch. The manufacturer simply said "Pay first and I will make it". That is "calling the bluff." The reaction from the "paying customers" shows that they were right. 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

Well said Radub, thanks for clarifying, it's not always easy to tell what message people are really trying to say, by their written words.

I thought you meant that I was insincere, not serious in my quest, essentially bluffing, in asking HPH about the cost of doing the P-51H.

LSP_Ray - very well said too, thanks.

It sure as all heck is expensive, super expensive, who'da thunk it was so darn much!

I though, maybe two thousand bucks' cover it, and I'd have gone for it, but, Wowsa, 9 Grand, just for the R&D model.

I am really surprised that not more people are interested in the final production variant of the Mustang, though.

I mean heck, there were 370 delivered by VJ day, 555 in total. They "existed" during WWII, and were considerably faster and more maneuverable than the earlier models.

Heck, they make kits of planes that never even got off the drawing board, or were produced in far smaller numbers!

I don't know, I just really like looking at, the final variants of the "super" classics, especially, the Mustang!

Yeah, maybe not as pretty as the B/C or D, but "beauty is as beauty does", and the H sure was a beauty, in that respect.

Oh well, I guess I'd better start "whittling" one, out of wood.

Well, how about a well done 1/32nd B/C Mustang?

I hear HK models was talking about doing one?

Edited by AresShrike

I have to believe someone will have another go at a P-51B/C. It is too important an aircraft not to. Trumpeter might have screwed us up by coming out with a rotten one, reducing sales to those who aren't as worried about details. But I think someone will, Tamiya or HK or someone. Probably all the resin guys believe so, too, which is why they won't touch it.