HPH Models 1/32 P-51H Mustang (group buy possible)

AresShrike

Guest Clunkmeister

Just to chime in regarding the P-51B.

In talking in depth to Radu here at the US Nats, he mentioned that for a truly accurate P-51B, a completely unique set of molds all of it’s own with the exception of maybe the propeller and one or two other incidental items would be needed.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever is interchangeable with the P-51D.

That really opened my eyes and shows why nobody other than Jerry Rutman has managed to get the P-51B ‘right’.

I was one of those guys who thought it wouldn’t be a big deal.

I hold out hope for a mainstream manufacturer to do a B Mustang. It is surely needed. 

And by by the way, Radu is one seriously awesome guy. By far the most easy to talk to, knowledgeable guy I’ve ever met. 

Yes I wish the new Revell Germany success too. If they do a Do 17 (or 215 or 217) to the standards of their Ju 88 and He 111 kits everyone will be happy. 

I understand the desire for all those planes that served with the ANG, like the P-51H. I'd love to see the F-89, F-94 and Century Series interceptors in 1/32. 

And really hoping Kitty Hawk come through with the 1/32 F-84F and RF-84F - such iconic jets that also thundered over the skies of Europe for a good ten years, in some cases twenty or more.

Tony 

It is funny and sad how the hobby business works.  The P-51H might not have enough interest to do in resin, the P-51B hands down needs to be done but a resin maker dare not invest heavily in it because tomorrow someone may release it in plastic.  A good kit of a B would be a best seller in any medium but it becomes almost chicken and egg.  Plastic makers are doing far more obscure subjects than the P-51B, we have had plastic makers do three different P-51D’s by three important manufacturers but not the B.  

I don’t find the H to be a subject I would be interested in but HPH won’t and should not probably take on doing the P-51B which I would by any good kit of the B that would be released resin or plastic if done to a high standard.

To me the H is nothing but the dead end that happened at the transition from prop to jet.  Maybe I am missing it’s signficance but It is not a plane I am interested in from reading Wiki and the discussion above.  I researched a little to see if it is something I would be interested in as I love the Mustang.

Edited by cbk57

I've always been interested in the final development of any design, because it's been created by the Same people who built the earlier ( more famous ) version and for me the H would be like the Spiteful the final end to a long story. I would be interested to see how HPH handle Boeing as regards the trade mark copyright etc.

34 minutes ago, Alburymodeler said:

Must admit I would not spend too much on a resin P-51H, maybe a cheap injection moulded kit I would, but that is not going to happen.

Me too , maybe a SH kit in the future ?

For me it's not about historical significance

or anything else but coolness factor. If it's

got enuff of it , I want it  :speak_cool:

Guest Clunkmeister
9 hours ago, GrahamF said:

I've always been interested in the final development of any design, because it's been created by the Same people who built the earlier ( more famous ) version and for me the H would be like the Spiteful the final end to a long story. I would be interested to see how HPH handle Boeing as regards the trade mark copyright etc.

Not sure on the copyright thing, but I’m sure they had plenty of issues with copyright with the upcoming DC-3.

And what about the MiG-15? Doesn’t MiG copyright it’s famous name?

I'd like to see aircraft manufacturer licensing fees ring fenced for use in the restoration and support of their products in museums. 

A lot of licensing is simply another form of controlling behaviour but, like workplace efficiency, it has already reared its ugly head and so we're stuck with it. Boeing are quite good to deal with, though I was particularly active writing books before all this nonsense started to impinge on the publishing industry. 

Decals are probably the only remaining safe haven, but officialdom are getting funny about insignia now. It's all so horribly petty and far removed from the genteel hobby of modelling as it was forty years ago - everything's become so aggressive, possessive and nit-picking. 

Leave the P-51B to HKM. I'm not going to buy an HpH P-51H but I'm surprised the Mustang aficionados aren't excited about this. 

Tony 

I wonder if a 'scratch aid' is the way to go? To CNC a fuselage and wings would be easy for us to do but would leave everything else to the modeller. Any Takers?

There is a company that do this for large scale garden railways where they just supply the bare bones brass etchings for a locomotive  but don't go the whole hog.

I've always liked the idea of this.

Graham