Messerschmitt Bf109 F-4 (really a G2) by Trumpeter

Gazzas

136447-18821-14-pristine.jpg

This will be my build.  It doesn't come with a tropical filter so I'll have to scratch one...  for good or ill.

The scheme:

miniTC_34_profile_2.jpg

The unit decals:  The Berlin Bear of II. JG 27 and the British Lion with approaching bullet, as well as the chevron and staffel marking came from the Kagero book Messerschmitt Bf 109s over the Mediterranean.

Many of these machines had their panel lines puttied and sanded smooth.  I'm going to do this as well and try to use weathering and wear to vary the surface.

Wish me luck!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas

57 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

If I am not mistaken, there is an early G in that box. Please check for the differences.

Holy $&@%, Martin!  You are absolutely correct!  Your post sent me in a hurry to my stash to check it out.  I'll have to rethink my scheme.

Dammit!

Good on ya, Trumpy!  *pfft!*

Thank you, Martin!

Gaz

He he, not a problem, I vaguely recall that several years ago when I got this kit there were quite a few surprises. I ended up binning it :( . However , the correction should be doable, or there is a possibility to build desert G. I have the pro modeller decals if you're interested?  :)

Cheers

M.

Martin,

Thank you for your kind offer, but I think I've found my machine.  Here it is!  This will fit in with my penchant for modelling aircraft not flown by the top aces.

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G2-5.JG27-(B13+-)-ba

Here is a profile from online:

490810cf0f6b72f662297700ed42ae88.png

This will give me some fun weathering to do as well as some not-so-usual markings.  I'm not sure what's going on with the starboard side of the cowling just above and behind the exhaust stubs.   Unless provided with some larger port-side shots, I have a little room for extrapolation on the port cowling and port rudder if I feel like making kill markings.  I'm guessing that in their short time in theatre, they must have been ridden hard and loved not so much.  

If anybody has any ideas about that big blob on the starboard cowling, please give us a shout.

Cheers!

Gaz

What a great project to tackle, Gaz! It should look really good! The colour demarcation on the spinner on the profile is different to the photos: Could that just be a red spinner tip and rest of spinner white to add even more colour?? The kit is a good one - I have one, and there are a few small tweaks to make it a great G2: K A Merrick in "German Aircraft Interiors 1935 to 1945 Vol 1" says there should be a small airscoop on both sides in the triangular panel just below the windscreen, surely not too difficult to add! And most welcome in the desert for pilot cooling! I can send photos if you need. Apparently the only complete F4 Trop in the world is in the National Military History Museum in Johannesburg South Africa, and apparently the tropical filter for "Black 6" the British G2 was reconstructed using the exact breakdown of parts from the F4 Trop...

Regards,

Marc