Which compressor?

monthebiff

Looking to upgrade my Iwata Smart jet compressor to something with an air tank fitted. Not sure what to go for so any suggestions would be helpful. Currently looking and comparing Sparmax, Iwata and Silair.

Regards. Andy

To be honest, they're all pretty much of a muchness, as long as they have a tank & a water filter, you're good to go.

I've got a Jun Air compressor. You can pick them up on Ebay and suchlike for around £100 or so. Will last forever.

Very quiet, very reliable, but very, very heavy.

$_86.JPG

Hi, You should go for something that is very quiet - and that has a large enough reserve tank... low decibles is the way to go! I recently bought a new compressor here in Europe that is extremely quiet and to good effect as I live in an apartment and have my hobby room downstairs. 

Cheers

Alan

43 minutes ago, alaninaustria said:

Hi, You should go for something that is very quiet - and that has a large enough reserve tank... low decibles is the way to go! I recently bought a new compressor here in Europe that is extremely quiet and to good effect as I live in an apartment and have my hobby room downstairs. 

Cheers

Alan

That was my thinking Alan, very quite with a nice large tank as I have a few large models to paint coming up and the constant compressor running is really annoying for one thing.

Regards. Andy

11 hours ago, DeanKB said:

To be honest, they're all pretty much of a muchness, as long as they have a tank & a water filter, you're good to go.

I've got a Jun Air compressor. You can pick them up on Ebay and suchlike for around £100 or so. Will last forever.

Very quiet, very reliable, but very, very heavy.

$_86.JPG

Interesting looking Zimmer frame there. 

Edited by ade rowlands

I've been using the same Silentaire compressor for the last 27 years and I bought it used.

It's the 50-9D on this page:

http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/sil_air.asp

It's no louder than the average refrigerator which is about as quiet as they come. I thought it was on the way out last year and purchased a Badger replacement for it but haven't needed it yet.  The Badger isn't as quiet but comes close and was 1/8 the price of a new Silentaire.

I would have gotten another but our kitchen and garage reno last year thought otherwise. 

Carl

Guest Maxim

Agree, I have both a compressor and CO2 tank. I find the CO2 tank holds constant pressure where as the compressor drops air pressure slightly as you pull the trigger so to speak.

2 hours ago, Maxim said:

Agree, I have both a compressor and CO2 tank. I find the CO2 tank holds constant pressure where as the compressor drops air pressure slightly as you pull the trigger so to speak.

Does your compressor not have a tank?

Guest Maxim
8 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Does your compressor not have a tank?

Yes it does. It'll drop about 2-3PSi once you pull the trigger to spray.

On August 3, 2018 at 6:09 AM, monthebiff said:

Looking to upgrade my Iwata Smart jet compressor to something with an air tank fitted. Not sure what to go for so any suggestions would be helpful. Currently looking and comparing Sparmax, Iwata and Silair.

Regards. Andy

I'm curious: why do you need to upgrade your Smart Jet? 

I have the same thing and it has lasted nearly 10 years now without fail, and does all I need a compressor to do for this hobby.

What does it lack that the new compressor will do? I'm curious!  Maybe I'm missing something!

It is kind of noisy, no doubt, but not enough to bother me.