F-14A Alicat

mark31

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, aircommando130 said:

Coming along really good! I liked the desert cammo on the Alicat. I was fortunate to see them real in Iran...had IIAF on the side and the regular (pre revolution) flag on the tail. I read somewhere that less than 20 are still flying.

Cheers...Ron

thanks

I have never seen a tomcat in real live

This build is now on hold just like my other builds

i dondt have the drive at this moment to build somthing

Mark

I feel you, I was happily chopping ang fitting a Bf 110 G conversion over in the pale moon light when I had a sudden and catastrophically  complete mojo failure. It looked like the project was going down in burning in a flat spin with no hope of recovery! I even boxed it all back up and returned it to its place in the stash. Then while hanging around in the hobby shop one day (hiding from my wife actually) I found a Takom King Tiger with full interior, now having always been a bit of a fan of king tigers, figured I could use this as a bit of a quick diversion to maybe get my modelling habit back in gear... One thing to be aware of, when Takom says it has a full interior, they do mean a full interior! My quick diversion was almost 2 months of bench time building the king (uh huh) and such a nice build I bought another one... digressing aside, my Bf 110G mojo was fully repaired and back on track to be completed...sometime.

Where was I going with this? I don’t actually remember now but I will take an opportunity to point out that it is a hobby, a distraction from day to day stresses and should be enjoyed. So if your not enjoying it, definitely take a step back, do something else and allow yourself some time to feel the urge (again)

as well, you are doing a really great job on the Tomcat!

• 1 month later...

I could provide some shots of the real thing (IRIAF Tomcats that is) as a motivation, albeit the blue/grey one?

Praise the Lord Almighty the untinkable happened recently and I made to Iran and actually catch three of their kitties; two of them inflight.

Boooyyyy, they are plastered with subtle stencils. Even in its gullgrey/white hayday the early Navy birds didn't have that many stenciling on them. All in English actually!

Anyways, the longer the break, the happier the return. take your time buddy.

Edited by bushande

On 10/16/2018 at 10:57 AM, aircommando130 said:

Coming along really good! I liked the desert cammo on the Alicat. I was fortunate to see them real in Iran...had IIAF on the side and the regular (pre revolution) flag on the tail. I read somewhere that less than 20 are still flying.

Cheers...Ron

Hey Ron - did you live/work over there?  I lived there as a very young kid (pre-revolution obviously), 73-77.     Never saw any Tomcats but I recall seeing the occasional F-4 and a bunch of Hueys / Cobras flying over my house.  

No...didn't live there. Was a C-5 loadmaster at Travis AFB and we'd fly to Amarillo, Tx and load Cobra's or Huey's or go to McClellan AFB and load F-5E's and fly nonstop to Iran. We'd take engines and tires and parts for their F-4 and F-14 fleet. When the Shaw left in Feb 1979 I think it started getting bad and we would have to fly back out. Was evacuating people and contractors before the embassy fell in Nov 79. Later I hauled 2 of the RH-53's from Norfolk NAS to Diego Garcia that were used in the Desert 1 hostage rescue raid in April 1980. 

14 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

No...didn't live there. Was a C-5 loadmaster at Travis AFB and we'd fly to Amarillo, Tx and load Cobra's or Huey's or go to McClellan AFB and load F-5E's and fly nonstop to Iran. We'd take engines and tires and parts for their F-4 and F-14 fleet. When the Shaw left in Feb 1979 I think it started getting bad and we would have to fly back out. Was evacuating people and contractors before the embassy fell in Nov 79. Later I hauled 2 of the RH-53's from Norfolk NAS to Diego Garcia that were used in the Desert 1 hostage rescue raid in April 1980. 

Very cool.  I remember seeing a good number of C-141's at Tehran's Merahbad Airport when I was coming and going. Never saw any C-5's. 

Always liked the look of the -141's in the old school grey and white MAC scheme!

The gray and white with the blue cheat line on the 141 and C-5 were my favorite scheme too. When they were stretching the 141 to make the B model you'd see them in the gray and white with camouflage plugs. When they started re winging the C-5 there were a few in the gray white with new camouflage wing center sections and gray slats/flaps.