Hurricane MK.IID of

gmctaggart

Thanks Michael, Its quite discouraging as you go through the various parts and you see the inaccuracies, especially when there are so many great examples that Trumpeter could reference. Case and point are the interestingly shaped propeller blades. I am no expert but in looking at what is in the kit and photos of the real thing you are left scratching your head. 

zllrvV.jpg

At any rate I have thrown some paint at the fuel tank...

9S5euR.jpg

s1Lfru.jpg

Firewall and the bulkhead. I have also added some of the piping for the coolant reservoir and first pass at the aluminum colour. 

VGaboy.jpg

tDHPvl.jpg

o76o3v.jpg

rqXJ9Q.jpg

4ucX9W.jpg

AJuuGa.jpg

Progress but still a ways to go. Thanks for reading and the feedback.

Gord

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chrish. A quick update, I applied some weathering to the fire wall as I expect during war time there's not a lot of time to make these areas look nice and clean.

9cLsFy.jpg

As for the engine I reached out Airfix to see if they have spare sprues and it sounds like they have some of the parts but not all of them. I also see that they will be rereleasing the kit this year so I am debating whether I wait and pick up the full kit and build from there. At a minimum I think I will build up the Trumpeter version and try and get something respectable if possible. If that doesn't work then at least I have an expensive back up plan lined up.

Thanks for reading.

Gord

Loving the attention going on here going on to my all-time favourite RAF bird Gord. Gotta love a bit of plumbing with the Hurricane :D .

Just a quick heads up... Although the Airfix 1/24 scale engine is a far better scale representation of an early Merlin it represents (or is trying to) the Merlin III - with odd exceptions the Hurricanes Mk2s had the Merlin XX. That said, if you’re only showing the side cowling removed and are not overly fussed about being 110% accurate as to which Mk then it would still a good one to use as the Mks are visually not a million miles apart visually from that angle. Don’t try the Airfix Spit as the Merlin is poorly represented. Canadian built variants had Packard Merlin 28 or 29 engines.

Can I ask.. are you following a particular colour reference for the green tank? Genuinely curious as 99% of the colour references I have it’s a kind of brick red colour (self sealing coating?) 

i-np2468W-M.jpg

Either way, she’s shaping up very nicely!

Torben

Torben,

Thanks for the helpful info. While I will not be 100% accurate with the build I am hoping to make sure it at least is close. I don't have a lot of reference for the internal structures and what I do have is mostly modern in nature. Without a lot of detailed photos, I find it challenging to be able to vet the images for what is truly accurate. Case and point is the fuel tank. I have examples of this in red and green and so I was 50/50 on what colour to go with. The images I have of the plane during the war are in b/w and so that doesn't help since red and green show up about the same tonally. Thats why this forum is so helpful as I can adjust the colour if this was standard for wartime MKIID's. Again I appreciate the insight. I will also continue to look into getting the Airfix Merlin. Do you know if there are big differences between the Packard and the Rolls royce engines in reality?

YGEiHR.jpg

lFjZh6.jpg

YOzR72.png

aSXewE.png

Gord

Cool shots Gord, certainly a couple new to me and I’ve got a quite a chunk load in my files.

The short answer on the difference of Packard and RR Merlins is..... well there is no short answer :huh:... but if there is one is was around production techniques.

When RR originally sent over the info and tools/patterns to Packard the spec wasn’t ”tight” enough for mass production - RR had the skilled craftsmen to work around any metalwork/casting tolerances . Basically Packard had to redraw/spec the engine to allow them to manufacture them on a fast production line.  

That said, to 99.9% of normal folks these differences would not be evident, especially at 1/24th scale!

Me, I’m loopy enough to have plans to one day super detail a Merlin III based on the Airfix one in the Hurricane Mk1. The worst area to my eye on that Airfix kit engine is the area on top between the cylinders - wiring harness is basic and there is a complete lack of anything resembling an engine underneath. Proportionally and side on she’s still the least shabby of all 1/24th scale Merlins.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Torben

I tend to agree with TorbenD insofar as the differences in 1/24 scale would be negligeable.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that in 1/24 scale, it would be hard to differentiate between the Merlin III and a Merlin XX.  Both were single stage supercharging, though the Merlin XX had two speed supercharging.  I believe that the Merlin XX was a few inches longer and all Merlins after the III had much improved supercharging thanks to improved airflow through the supercharger.  For our purposes, we don't model engine internals, unless you're Zoukei Mura :D.   Check these images of Merlin 20 series.

mev-10842661.jpg

RollsRoyce_Merlin_23.jpg

I think the lengthening of the engine was due to the introduction of the gear train for the 2 speed supercharger, and this was in the area immediately in front of the supercharger casing itself, so perhaps not too difficult to model.  Here's a Merlin III, and you'll notice the increased gap between the supercharger casing and the magneto.

large_000000.jpg

I don't see that it would be hard to add a blank into the supercharger, in front of the S/C casing.  The nose of the Hurricane II was longer to accommodate this, but that should be included in Trumpeter's model (??).

Good luck with this, and I'll be following your progress with interest.

Cheers,

Michael

Really interesting discussion gents. I have collected merlins from the Airfix Hurricane, Spitfire and Mustang in order to make some sort of franken-Merlin to represent a Merlin 25 for my Mosquito kit. Not fussed on the one supplied in their either 

Keep up the great work on your Hurricane as I too am following with great interest. I might even have plenty of engine  spares to help you out?

Cheers Anthony 

Edited by Anthony in NZ

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guys. Lots of great information. Torben, Thanks for the insight about the engine. It sounds like for the most part the external visual look of the engine is similar with small deviations that few people would be able to recognize. Let me know if that is fair to say. Michael, great photos, they really help to illustrate the engine. It got me starting to look for dimensioned drawings of the engine to see how close the Trumpeter version is and what parts need to be modified. I think I need to walk a fine line between accuracy and how much gets modified as the more I modify the greater chances of misalignment of parts. I am also approaching this more from a point of view that if you can see it then it should be done well, but if its concealed and not visible then I am not as concerned about the details. All that said, I started cleaning up the interior of the engine compartment and adding the internal structure. The edges of the aircraft panels have been thinned down to feel more in scale.

VMybGx.jpg

The channel at the nose of the aircraft has been cut back to the panel line and also been cleaned up and made to look a bit more accurate.

hmQoRR.jpg

Also the first bulkhead behind the prop was also created.

1ubDuK.jpg

SKZVIu.jpg

So a small update but still moving. Thanks again everyone for your insight.

Gord