Hurricane MK.IID of

gmctaggart

I have been meaning to build this kit for a while and this group build is a great opportunity. Of WWII aircraft, the hurricane is my favourite. I have a few other projects I need to clean up before I can move onto to this, but I figured I would state my intent. 

iG0qv5.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Gord

Edited by gmctaggart

Oh yeah very nice kit - Got to love a tank buster with Big Guns!!!!! :thumbsup:

I really enjoyed building this one - if Photosuckit is still working you can take a look at my efforts in the signature.

Some bits to watch for biggest one for me is I would strengthen the bottom seam from the wing back as I found the plastic a bit flimsy and I kept cracking the seam which is a real pain.

Enjoy and looking forward to seeing how it goes,

Happy Days - Taff :D

Another seam I had fun with is where the part of the wing that forms one piece of the gear bay joins the roof of the gear bay, kept breaking that one when sanding to eliminate an eneven seam. Eventually added some strength to the top side with some plasticard and epoxy. Great kit to build though and the Trumpeter etch set available separately adds a lot to the cockpit. 

• 1 year later...

With the work on the Phantom in the group build winding down, I thought it would be nice to bring this one back to life. There is still research, and a lot of that to do but thought what better way to celebrate bring this one back to life than cutting up perfectly decent plastic. This one will be a challenge for me as I will end up doing quite a bit of scratch building. I would also ask if anyone reading this would be kind enough to share their knowledge of the Hurricane, especially anything on the MK.IID. With the limited number that were made, it appears that there is little information on this particular animal. I am hoping that my research and the helpful folks on this forum will see me through. In the mean time, I have removed some panels from the aircraft so I can display it as if under maintenance. 

xDaJAa.jpg

flIW5k.jpg

Thanks for reading and as always feel free to critique and comment.

Gord

Cool I’ll be watching :clap2:

If you are intending to use the Trump engine be warned its more Massey Ferguson than Merlin!!! Thats one of the reasons I built mine all closed up. If you got an Airfix 1/24 engine spare it would be a better start. But if thats to much work then it don’t matter, I’m looking forward to seeing it any way. Can never - ever - get enough Can Openers in your life :D

Cheers - Taff

Thanks Taffyman. I had read that the engine is nonsensical and to replace from the Airfix kit. I haven't looked at the Trumpeter engine yet to see if anything can be salvaged but what I am not sure about is whether the Airfix Merlin depicted looks the same as a Merlin XX. It would be great to understand the visual differences. Would love to hear from others.

Thanks

Gord

• 4 weeks later...

Taffyman, really enjoyed your build. Very nice job. As for my build it is more likely than not that I will be a little A.D.D. at the beginning as I will work on various parts and not in the order of the instructions. I started with assembling the gas tank behind the engine. Easy enough and I applied a slight texture to it to represent the cans outer material. 

cee5Qs.jpg

I also continued to clean up the airframe, removing the locating pin on the starboard side. It likely won't be visible but I figured its better to be safe than sorry.

GoUgIg.jpg

59i9t3.jpg

I also started onto the firewall. Removing the locating tabs and reinstating the surface. Some large ejector pin marks need to be dealt with. 

dUcVLe.jpg

r1051n.jpg

Q2VqPV.jpg

ev88bF.jpg

Thats it so far. I also have the privilege of living 25 minutes from a MK.XII that has recently been restored. I went there the other day to take a billion photos. While not the same plane as the MK.IID, its good to see the finer details on the real thing to understand how they might apply to my build. The also had an Rolls Royce Engine on display which also received the paparazzi treatment.

Q7eTmN.jpg

Thanks again for reading.

Gord

Alain, I am hoping it will be interesting in a good way and not the car accident you see happening from a mile away ;). So a bit more work. I focused some effort on the fire wall; drilling out the various holes for the pipes and wires that pass through.

rQD7uN.jpg

On the opposite side I also added the flange that secures the emergency gas tank to the wall.

0Ja9Iu.jpg

In addition I ran a thin piece of plastic around the perimeter the fire wall to show the flange that supports the body panels. I will be adding some texture in a bit as I assume this is likely asbestos or some other other fire proof material.

JYLPwh.jpg

I also applied the same flange to the bulkhead opposite the fuel tank.

10UFeI.jpg

Feeling brave I also started working on the engine support structure, adding in the missing braces and wires. Still bunch to go on this but a reasonable start.

KHX4nM.jpg

jcJtUq.jpg

Finally I started to look at the fantasy version of the Merlin XX that Trumpeter has in the kit. I am hoping this is something I can save but currently not confident in that. That will be a battle for another day. Would appreciate any of those that can tell the differences between a Packard Merlin which I assume the picture below shows and an XX. Should I be using my reference photos to bring reality to this engine? Appreciate the thoughts.

qRoGra.jpg

gFYmw7.jpg

dCYt4k.jpg

m1RyO8.jpg

W89lE6.jpg

If it looks weird, let me know.

Gord

I have a MkIIc version of this kit, having previously built a MkI.  The engine in it is rubbish, being both too small and quite inacurrate.  When I build the MkIIc, I may look at using the engine from an old Airfix kit in it's place.

I like what you've done so far on this build.  Keep up the good work.

Michael