1/200 USS Arizona, with the works

Squizzy 78

Guest Maxim

Squizzy, the Arizona 3D book will help with the photo etch placement etc. I found the Missouri edition really helpful once I started with the Pontos set for my Missouri build.

20 hours ago, Squizzy said:

I've also ordered the Paul Stillwell book for the Arizona, I have his book for the Missouri another 1/200 scale project that'll be huge! But if his Arizona book is half as good as the Missouri book, I'm laughing. 

I have a USS Missouri book by Stillwell bookmarked on Amazon, for a future purchase. I wonder if it's the same book as you're referring to. It's taken me a fair amount of effort to gather many of the specific details for the #1 turret and surrounding area, and I'm still not sure about certain details. 

• 2 weeks later...

For my first update, I was hoping to have a bit more done, but I'm trying to get it right, so it'll take as long as it does. 

With the top half of the hull, I've done all I'm going to until the two hull sections are joined, which was styrene strips ran through the hull, as you can't see through the drilled out portholes.

43962520942_088583e8c7_b.jpg

The lower hull is what's been keeping me busy. I'm not up will all of the correct terminology, but the section on the hull where the prop shafts come out, are very 'toyish', and I was happy with them, so out with the dremal.

42930848605_2fcdb1f74d_b.jpg

After the clean up, and repair of the resulting holes in the hull, I discovered several different ways to not scratch build the prop shift outlets. I ended up using my battery drill and creating even larger holes in the hull than what I started with, and using styrene tubes, I managed to build the section and pieces required, and the use of perfect plastic putty, I'm happy with the results.

42201846600_658181a840_b.jpg

Theres still plenty of work required in this area, shaping around the rudder, and then I'll be onto the docking keels.

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one. There hasn't been any work done on the Arizona, as I've just gotten back from escaping the Melbourne winter with a family holiday to Fiji. But when I got back, I had 3 little presents waiting for me upon my return.

The first is a book that was sent to me from a member here,' Sassgrunt'. He offered me a book which is about the 1/96 scale Arizona model which is located at the Pearl Harbour visitor centre, and he wouldn't even accept any payment for shipping! A very big thank you, the book is awesome!

The other book is the Paul Stillwell book on the USS Arizona, another awesome reference.

43368740915_40d8df5916_b.jpg

The other present is the timber deck from scaledecks.com. WOW, if anyone's thinking of building a Arizona, spend that little bit more, and these are a must have. I've had all of the timber decks, Ka, artworks, and not that pontos does a deck for the Arizona, but I have there decks for other kits, and there all very good. But this is another level again! It doesn't have the self adhesive back, you use glue, and tips on doing it are provided, it is at least a quarter of the thickness of the others, and the detail is something else, I can't wait to use them.

44226509172_5ff775874c_b.jpg

I've tried to show the detail with a close up, but I can only use the camera on my iPad, but you can see the difference in timber planks colours, very realistic!

I just wish you hadn’t mentioned the Scaledecks’ name :( ...

Now I have two of their decks on their way to home ... and might ask them about doing a 1/200 Mikasa deck :frantic:!

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

Edited by Hubert Boillot

An update on the hull, for the past 10 days or so I've been working on the prop shaft struts. The Trumpeter version must have been designed with R/C in mind, mine aren't 100% accurate, but looking at all of my references, are a lot closer, and I'm happy with the way they've come up.

44521996551_ba735019e8_b.jpg

43804255914_6ab19d2e7d_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been difficult to get a lot of time at the desk lately with family and work commitments, but finally I've managed to get the lower hull done.

There isn't much info on the docking keels, but with the little info I found, and looking at other on line builds, I've taken a guess at how they were, and although it may not be 100% accurate, it's better than nothing. I also took a crack at the bilge keels, I think trumpeters version was a bit like a smiley face.

29982833307_b9119b6850_b.jpg 44869244332_7e54eab0aa_b.jpg

With the lower hull done, except the rudder, it was time to join the two halfs, and now I'll be starting work on the details such as the straps on the torpedo belts, the port side fuel line, and the water ways on the deck. In short, still plenty of work to be done before paint, and I there's also the join between the two halfs!

44006857335_334123c18f_b.jpg

44869456262_f75204509a_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.